Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '08 XB12X ECM Spy problems

Quote Originally Posted by Feequess View Post
    Hope to put together the harness tomorrow then will start playing with the EMC Spy. When I first looked into the EMC Spy I'd read it was Windows only. So, I scored an older Dell with Win7 Pro from and IT amigo. Then I cruise Buellxb and see people using it with a MacBook Air. Is there really that much difference? I use my Air for work and wanted to use the Dell in the garage. (A $150 Dell in grease and dirt is easier on my nerves than my Mac) Does it make that much difference what OS you use? Thanks again for all the input!
    IDK about EcmSpy running natively in OS X... you would load windows on the Mac and dual boot (or VMware), at least thats how I do it. I only have windows on the Mac for tuning vehicles as all programs I've come across are written to work with windows 7. I'd just use the Dell now that you have it set up. EcmSpy is a really light program to run so you aren't missing anything by not running it on the Mac...

Thanks, lowkey. For an old guy I do pretty well in the digital world, but it helps to have friends who are ITs and feedback from a board like this.

For folks wanting to datalog and tune, I recommend grabbing an old Dell Mini 9 or Vostro A90 notebook off ebay. Look for one with SSD storage. They're cheap (you can usually find them for $100 or less), very compact (fits easily in my tankbag for datalogging) and with an SSD, there's minimal concern for banging or bumping while datalogging and damaging the storage media or getting skips in your datalogging like with a conventional platter-style hard drive. Throw on a stripped down copy of Windows 7 (remove/uninstall any media player and other non-necessary apps/bloatware) and you've got a nice dedicated ECMSPY/Tunerpro tuning device. Just remember to go into the power/screen saver settings and set it up to not sleep when the lid is closed and you're set.

I think I'm getting closer. After buttoning up the wiring harness, I still have a problem with the ECM Spy connecting. On a whim, I took a meter to the cable. It ain't right. When I wiggle it, resistance changes. Soldering up a new USB to the connector and we'll see how that flies. Stay tuned and thanks.

you would load windows on the Mac and dual boot (or VMware)

you would have to do this to run TunePro on a Mac also, TunerPro only runs in a windows enviroment. Just FYI

Thanks, mrlogix. I'm running a MB Air and it has no RAM so I'm trying to not load it up with programs. I process photos and video (when I'm not near my real computer) and it's already crawling. I think the little Dell will work for this.

In a moment of unusual clarity, I actually cked before soldering up any USB I had laying around and read that they are not acceptable for making a ECM Spy cable. So, I rechecked the one I had and it's toast. Solid short. I think the shielding worked thru the insulation and grounded a few of the wires. Oops. Because buying a crappy cable off Amazon deserves more consequences, it appears I haven't the 5 volts across the data pins in the ECM Spy socket. So, I'm going to build my own cable (with blackjack and hookers) so I know it's right and try again. Hopefully, it didn't take out my ECM. Thanks again for all your comments.

Last edited by Feequess; 09-15-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12