Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on hella headlights

Progress on hella headlights

I just thought I'd post some progress. I'm not very good at metalwork, and don't have much in the name of metal working tools, so have done what I can with what I have to adapt these aftermarket hella headlights to my firebolt. You talk about a TIGHT fit... I might be done with this job this weekend. Has been a lot of trial and error in terms of fitment, but I have finally got all the tedious fitment pieces done. Just need to tack in some more support for the bracket, finish welding it all up, and paint. After that, a little electrical and done.

I'm using 16 gauge steel (wish it was thicker but I have no way to cut anything thicker). Also wish it was aluminum, but no way to weld it. So working with what I can do... Drew it up in a cad program first, then taped to the metal and "traced" it to the metal with a straight edge and razor knife. Then drilled the holes with a stepped drill bit. Then did most of the cutting with a jigsaw, some with a grinder or dremel. The 16 gauge is only about half as thick as needed to fit the adjuster plastic clips, so I bought some metal bushings (basically washers) that are the same ID as the holes and they fit perfect. I was going to tack weld them in place but don't think I really need to after seeing how snug it all fits together.

Also had to open up the fairing holes as these lights are a larger diameter. Once complete, I'll complete it as it's currently a little rough.

be sure to post some pic's of the light output when your finished.

Nice job gascap!!

Thats gonna look cool. Whats the beam patter on those? I used to have 100W 4" Hella fog lights on the high beam holes of my '67 Chevelle. Holy crap they were bright! But I couldn't use them if there was any oncoming traffic for MILES...

Thanks. I was more proud of my work until I took pictures and see how "rough around the edges" it is lol.

Can't say on the beam pattern, but they are both hi/low beams that have a mechanical shutter.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what this type of connection is called? I need to order harness plugs for the shudder...

Then the bulb is an H9 which I believe is what this is:

Wow, I feel stupid. I just found that they sell these nice metal mounting plates lol. Would have been nice to know that before, would have saved a lot of cutting...

email Hella support, they should be able to identify their connectors and a source for the mating pieces.

Thanks, have tried that but haven't heard anything back...

These are the lights BTW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwXURkzTfw

Too bad I don't speak that language...lol

what is the part number on the lights?

I believe this is it: 009998021

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00999802.../dp/B0030YWKYW

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast