Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires, what are you using?

I have dunlops on my car. Not bad for passenger tires, but, they don't seem very durable. I've had them for 25k and after rotating tires I have about 5-10k left. Maybe I'll try dunlops next season

On my second rear Michelin pilot 3 and it is still wearing square in the middle and feathering on the sides
    Michelin pilot power 3's -- on the rear tire same thing happened to mine around 5k
    I have that issue with every tire, when you live in a state with 2 curves and are throttle happy that center wears quick. 5700 miles showing cords on angel st. 6100 bald in the center on scorpion sync. I've considered trying a michelin sport touring tire, but other than life span, im pretty happy with the pirelli angel st.

Very very well. Heated up quick, ran 32 up front and 28 out back. Markbuilt dialed in the new gsxr front-end and the bike got faster all day. Tires stuck really well and wore really well. Couldn't be happier. We even had a bit of mist and stayed on the same pace w zero slippage.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 09-25-2016 at 08:56 PM.

I currently have Pilot road 2's and I really do not like them. I have always been a Pirelli Diablo guy and I will also say I loved the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on my CityX
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

The Pilot "Road" series is supposed to be a harder durometer rubber for long milage but obviously less traction. Curious to know specifically what you don't like?

You summed it up in your reply. The Pirelli's are a softer compound that inspire confidence while turning. I can feel the difference in the grip of the Road series. The harder more long mileage tire, just doesn't have the same feel in turns. Ive actually slid them a couple of times which freaked me out.
    I need a dual compound or full race tire at this point and if I have to replace them every year, so be it. That's what I'm used to. And being on a Buell, I want to own the corners.

Does that make sense?
    Jack-O-Lantern

Ya, Time to get sticky tires! I haven't even had luck with the 'dual compound' ones. They've been promising the best of both worlds for decades now.
    {soapbox}
    I firmly believe that good sticky tires on a performance bike are mandatory equipment like a helmet is.
    Whats the point of buying tires with less traction (higher mileage) than stock? IMO It limits the bike and yourself, and can even make it dangerous. You expect a certain amount of control and traction then WHOOPS! ....I have tires with lots of tread on a scraped up bike....
    {/soapbox}

The threads I read show people will readily spend four times what they need to per quart for oil, but complain the best tires are expensive?? I just paid $220 for a pair of Pilot power 3's sent to my door. Thats not bad to have a set of super performance tires and the confidence and security that they give me. I might get 3000 miles on a set, for me that about 3 sets a year (and I always replace them in pairs). Overkill? Every time I try to drag a knee and don't slip off a cliff its worth it

You said it Lusiphur. "Own the corners"

It's kind of a weird situation, I sold my Buell, when I went through 4 hip surgeries. The last 2 being full replacements.
    While my bike was owned by a different person, he converted the rear to a Lightning setup and installed these tires. I actually thought I was done riding, but turns out, I was able to get back in the saddle and luckily enough, I was able to buy back my original Buell. I love the lightning rear as I had a CityX before the Firebolt. So I inherited these tires and since they had plenty of tread on them, I was trying to adjust, but they just don't inspire confidence in me, and that is not a good thing on 2 wheels especially, as you said, it's at most $300 to buy and mount great tires.
    Jack-O-Lantern

And a hearty congrats to you sir, for getting back in a saddle and doing what you love and also getting your baby back!

Thanks!!

Jack-O-Lantern

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast