Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploded Jardine

Exploded Jardine

I'm new here, I've been lurking for years but never had anything to contribute. I bought an 03 XB9R back in March with a Jardine muffler already installed. I loved the way it sounds and the bike runs great. Last week while riding 380 miles to buy a truck, I was running between 70-90 mph for almost the entire trip and the muffler literally exploded right in the middle of the body. After a little homework, I see that they are prone to blowing the ends off but has anyone seen this before?
    It's out of warranty, so the best there customer service will do is offer me a discount on a new body which is cheaper than a new one from someone else but I don't know if I want to give them any of my money. What do ya'll recommend?

Little more expensive than a jardine, I have yet to see one explode in that manner. I seriously doubt it would ever happen either, it's all 16 gauge 304 stainless.

I was just looking at your exhaust on a different post, it looks very nice. How much$$$? Do you have a website with more info?

Wow! That's a first for me! You could turn it into a shorty exhaust.
    I've had a jardine on my bike for 8yrs. Only issue I ever had was my rivet holes getting elongated on the body at the end cap. Was my fault cause I used aluminum rivets on a repack and waited entirely too long to perform the next one!
    I check my pipe at every oil change. If ANYTHING is loose I rebuild/repack it. It usually takes between 5k-10k but you have to keep an eye on it. It's kind of a PITA if you don't like tinkering with stuff. Also I have my muffler bracket, that attaches the pipe to the bottom end, set up so it's super tight on the pipe. It doesn't move at
    All.
    Deans product is definitely higher quality and virtually maintenance free.
    I've NEVER heard of his products having issue.
    Hopefully the tax man will be kind this year and I can get myself a GOOD exhaust from Dean Adams!

Jardine is a type of muffler that uses packing and therefore needs to be repacked after some time. There are a few other items that need to maintained on a motorcycle as well, like: oil, tires, battery, chain/belt, bearings, etc... Be careful.

When I got mine the paper work said every 5k.

If you repack with Bristol Core, I can guarantee you that the packing will last a minimum of 10K.

The OEM packing will blow out in 3k or less.

That's what I put in my muffler. You can see what my Bristol Core packing looked like at 6K, almost as good as the day I put it in.

You have a link where we can find that core/packing material?
    Also, I can't find IN WRITING where I read/heard the 5k maintenance interval. Only thing the jardine site says is that when the muffler starts sounding louder it probably requires a repack. That's helpful.
    Just check it every oil change. It should last at least 6k but who knows what it's been through! I know my repack jobs have been good for at least 6k. Had one last almost 20k.
    Like GregoXB said earlier, it's all about keeping up with the maintenance.
    GregoXB- that's a great vid! The key is the quality of the packing and the quality of the material around the core. Also help the life is the whole repack to make sure everything is real good and tight. Nice work
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 11-19-2015 at 08:44 PM.

http://www.bristolcore.com/category_s/29.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast