Thread: Uly Free Spirit Belt Tensioner

Uly Free Spirit Belt Tensioner

New Uly owner here. Not new to Buell (1125R) but new to the Uly.

I know that the FST question has been beat to death in years past but now that some serious time and miles have elapsed I would like to know what the experiences have been with putting this tensioner on guys' (and gals') Ulys. Belt slips, belt breaks, bearing failures, etc.?

I know there have been a couple tensioner failures in years past so I wrote Free Spirit to enquire about this. A very nice fellow named Marcello responded that failures were extremely rare, only 0.3% failure rate. But he also mentioned that the tensioner was not designed for the Ukysses. I thought the only difference with the Uly swingarm was an increase in travel. Am I wrong? Has anyone had trouble using the FST on a Uly rather than any other XB?

Thanks for your help!

The stock part numbers are different for the long and s/r swing arm models.
    G0604.1AAB R S models.
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websho...XHFSC&aid=8156

G0604.1AKA X SS STT models.
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websho...YXHFSC&aid=792

Hopefully someone will chime in on the difference in the dementions between the 2 and whether or not the FST has been used by other Ulysses riders with success. I have one on my 12S and love it in spite of the price...
    Last edited by Dellinger; 11-26-2015 at 04:41 AM.

I own two 07 TT’s. I believe the TT has the Uly swing arm but I’m not certain.

I’ve set each up a little differently and love them both. Combined mileage on the two is around or above 50K. I’ve snapped three or four belts, (lost count, it may be five) and had one wheel bearing failure. On occasion I kind of like to twist the throttle.

Something needed to change so I looked into the FST, then I started reading about the failures. I contacted FS directly and a U.S. supplier. I told both that I would purchase a tensioner if I could also purchase a spare pivot arm, (or whatever it’s called). Marcello was appalled that I would question the “quality of his fine product”. The US supplier couldn’t get one either. I gave up, here’s what I did instead:

1. Purchased a three bearing rear wheel.
    2. Drilled out the tensioner holes.

I put the new wheel on the bike I’ve set up for long distant riding, no more bearing failures.

Drilling out the tensioner is a little tricky. You need to drill out enough to relieve some of the tension but you can’t go too far. If you feel you’ve gone too far you can shim it. I used thin walled 304 SS tubing. It’s tough and curved.

Anyway the changes seem to be working well.

Thanks Dellinger. I appreciate the input.