Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any GPR damper install advice?

Any GPR damper install advice?

Need some help installing the GPR damper. I had it installed about 6 weeks ago, and like many others have experienced, at the "zero" setting it was so stiff that driving straight was undoable. Bottom line was that it was unsafe.

Talked to Loren at GPR, and he took the unit back to service with a lighter oil. It's back now, but I haven't been able to raise Loren to help with the install. I'm trying to get it on there correctly, but I'd love some experiences/advice from those who have one installed and operating well. I don't think my post mount is correctly milled or something like that, as I can't get the bolt/mount/metal collar to interface well with the airbox bolt location (i.e. everything tightens well before the post mount is actually flush against the frame or airbox plastic...it's kind of just "sitting out there" with visible silver between the mount itself and the airbox).

Secondly, Loren mentioned that the arm shouldn't "seat" all the way in the post mount slot. He said it should not be touching the bottom of the slot. So far, this is impossible with my install. When the GPR unit is mounted to the stem unit, the arm IS at the bottom of the slot. There's no physical way to "raise" it higher given the physics of the install.

Any advice?

Check out this old thread.
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...teering-Damper
    Not sure how much that will help you.
    I also found this;
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1238460267
    I did a quick google search of "GPR install on Buell xb" and found a bunch of info.
    BTW on what type of Buell are you trying to install the dampener? Looks like installs on S models had some issues. Didn't read far enough to see if this was ever resolved.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 11-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Mine's a Firebolt....I've read those threads...but I really think my problem is with the post and the post mount/bolt...

Something is not letting the mount "seat" all the way against the frame and against the airbox plastic.

Can you post a picture? Might help someone with more experience mounting a GPR steering damping identify any problems you don't see.
    Did you buy the unit new?
    And who performed the install?

Good luck w getting that damper all sorted out, those things freak me out but then again so do tank slappers and long straight away head shakes. Some classes they are mandatory. Let us know how u make out and good luck again.

Yeah - it was brand new through 5-0dro....I'm doing the install.

I'll take some pictures....looking through all the pictures I can find online, something is not right with my post mount and the hole alignment/etc. with the airbox screw hole.

I have installed two of these, one of my firebolt and one on my 1125r. I would try to screw in the little bracket with no arm inserted and see if you get binding. If you do then try just the bolt itself. A video would work even better to help figure out what's not right.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Great video - but no worky for me. Here's a pic of how it all "lined up" trying that route:

Here are the other pics showing the issues with the post mount:

Notice how in the last photo, this is the *farthest* the screw will go in. There is no way the mount is ever going to get to the frame. I wonder if this is a case of their sending the wrong bolt size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast