Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer here, thoughts on buying a non-running SCG?

First timer here, thoughts on buying a non-running SCG?

Hi everyone, I'm new here so thanks in advance for responses/advice.

I've always wanted a SCG and finally found one near me except that it's not running due to lack of use. I wanted to get everyone's take on whether this would still be a good investment. Also since Buell no longer exists, would that make it harder to get repairs and replacement parts? I'm also 5'5 with short legs so I was wondering if I'd even be able to ride the thing.

Here is the listing:
    http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...2SCG-116219909

Buy it ! Fix it ride it. For $2800 for an 08 that cheap, most likely just clean the fuel system and it will run.

Be prepared to drop some coin. I'm a month into owning a running 2010 XB9SX and am finding opportunities to spend money.

Howdy fellow newby!!
    Impression... looks quite clean & tidy, tyres look quite good. May only need a new battery or good charge up (in that case, of course it won't start from extended storage). However, it is a gamble if you buy without knowing the full story. You may have a great buy if.... seller is not mechanical, doesn't need to get top dollar, can't be bothered sorting it out pre-sale. But if he know something bad and ain't sayin' - you could need some very good luck on your side!! Your gamble.

Welcome! Looks like it might be in good shape. That said, I wouldn't buy a non-running bike unless I could get it for next to nothing. Too much of a risk that there might be some serious problems. That's just my 2 cents. Others may have different opinions.

I would try to contact the seller and find out some more info on the bike. If it's just a battery that the bike needs that's easy peasy. However, the bike could be a mechanics nightmare if it needs anything else. Shop fees usually run around $90/hr. That adds up quickly when you consider that it's very hard to find a capable shop/mechanic that knows how to trouble shoot Buell running issues. That $2800 could wind up costing double that depending on what the bike really needs.
    Do some more research and report back your findings.
    Also, if you're not mechanically inclined I would keep searching. I'm sure you can easily find a good condition Buell xb9, that runs and has service records/history, for $3500-$4500. That's really not that much more money when you think of how much time and stress you're saving yourself.
    That's just my 2 cents.

Inactive
    good advice above from the usual suspects. my thoughts are this: the bike is valencia transluscent(orange krate) and an SCG model in 1203cc form which is really rare. it's also a CA model as shown by the charcoal canister above left side primary cover. pretty darn rare bike. looks to be nice and reasonably stock excepting mirrors. stock mirrors easy to find. if you're mechanically challenged and have no prior buell experience it's a real crap shoot and probably something to shy away from. if you have reasonable motorcycle mechanical skills i'd take the plunge at something less.....like $2400. also consider this: pin the seller down as to why it was parked...specifically how long it has been parked...and what if anything along the lines of preparation did he do to it prior to parking it. also consider this and i have done this in the past: ask the seller right up front if he'd be willing to sign a simple sales agreement between the 2 of you that specifically states the bike has no known mechanical defects to the frame/motor/transmission/shift mechanism/suspension system. if he agrees to same then draft something simple, both sign it, have it notarized....and put specific simple language in the agreement that you the buyer have 10 days from the purchase to get the bike in running condition. if at that time it is discovered that a major defect exists in the driveline or any other major component as listed in the agreement you and seller agree he will accept return of the bike and issue you full original purchase price refund. if he scoffs at this i'd walk.

I would bring jumper cables, if it turns over (doesn't have to start) and you can shift through all the gears, I'd buy it. As long as you are mechanically inclined.

Lunatic has been around the block a time or too. Notorized sales agreement is an excellent idea and a great way to protect yourself from any foul play.
    Good luck and please let us know what you find out about the bike.
    BTW John, I believe you about it being a 12. However, I obviously don't know how to spot one at a glance. Can the great whisperer lend some advice to those of us less versed in all things Buell on how to identify a 12 from a 9? What details from the posted pick told you it was a 12scg?

If you are the kind of guy to only consider dropping it off at the dealer for repair don't buy it, it will cost you more than a decent running one. Go buy something new with a warranty. Leave it to someone familiar with Buells and tools to fix it.

If your toolbox has more than a hammer and a crecent wrench, and you possess basic mechanical knowledge I would buy it. (By asking your question, makes me worried)

Take fresh gas and a battery. It doesn't need to start, but it does need to crank without bad noises. That will at least tell you the rotating assembly, and electrical are probably ok. Flush the tank, change the fluids and filters. I bet she runs great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast