Thread: XB12X Fork Interchangability

XB12X Fork Interchangability

I have a 2008 Ulysses touring model and I'm interested in changing to the X forks. I've got a line on a cheap 2006 XB12X donor, but I'm not quite clear if these folks would bolt on to a 2008 touring model.

*What are the differences between model years 2006 and 2008 besides the engine changes?

*Did fork diameters change in the X models from 2006 to 2008? How about spring rate?

*Was the rear shock different on the X model and will it bolt on the touring model?

I did a little bit of Googling on these questions but read some conflicting information.

Thanks much,
    Ron

06/07 X suspension Bolts right up to 08+ XT.

You only need:
    forks
    rear shock
    front brake line
    & kick stand

*08+ X to older X or any XT requires the triples---> I believe the forks from an 1125 w 08X triples will give an XT height w the extra steering radius... but have not attempted this.

I'm curious as to the rest of the "cheap" uly? PM me please if there are other plans for it.
    Last edited by UMDterp13; 01-15-2016 at 02:48 AM.

There are some functional differences, but they are interchangeable. 06 forks have a lighter spring rate than the 07 up; many people put 07 springs in their 06 forks (retail on the springs is $17/ea) because the 07 forks have less brake dive. 08-up forks actually have 47 mm sanctions (sliders/lowers), whereas 06-07 have 43 mm sanctions, which is important to know when you have to replace the fork seals, and the 08-up forks have an offset front axle. The axle is pushed rear of the center of the fork~3/8", to offset the 08-up triples holding the forks forward the steering neck ~3/8" more than the 06-07 triples, so that the combination of the trees and forks achieves the same rake and trail as the 06-07 models. Several people have put the later triples on earlier forks and later forks into earlier triples without noticing negative handling characteristics though.

I'm about to install '08+ 12X triples on my '07 12X to get the improved steering angle (increases from 54degs to 74degs). I think the improved steering angle was only added to the '08+ X models...not the XT. I'm not planning on changing to the '08 12X forks unless I notice that the handling is dramatically changed.

You can't do that. 08+ X have 47mm forks. To go from 06/07 to 08+ X for the angle, you need forks and lower triple.

Read my post (2nd post) I've done all the swaps
    Last edited by UMDterp13; 01-21-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Do you guys know what triples i would need if i wanted to put ully forks on my 03 xb9s front end? Need to jack my front end up my back is a little higher from upgrades.

Not quite sure of the question, you lifted the rear suspension? How? How much?

+ an inch or so and you can add a spacer the height you need to the top of your stock fork springs now. Remember that spring height and spring rate are very different things.

You will want to have the bike equal the same height front and rear as it was stock (X-height). Any deviation of that and very ill handling will result.

Iv got a custom 18" wheel with a 240 on the back. And a subframe spacer. My rear end sits pretty high from that and with my lower handlebars im a little too far forward for my liking. This thing isnt hitting any twists and turns so i could care less about handling this ones for looks.