Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spark plugs

I don't want to kick a dead horse but I just called my local hd mechanic and he laughed at me when I asked how much they would charge to swap the plugs. He said I should do it myself but the only time I've changed spark plugs in the past I cross threaded it...

I have a buddy that's a good car mechanic but no experience with bikes, do you think it's safe to ask him for help instead? I see lunatics advice and I've gone through their profile. Clearly lunatic knows what's what. Or option 3 do I find another bike mechanic?

You're probably better off finding someone who wants to do this.

HD guys usually arent too fond of Buells (unless you get lucky enough to find one who appreciates them). On an XB you have to pull the scoop and do some fancy manuevering to replace the plugs. On an HD, they are right there... no shrouds to remove or fancy tricks to get to them.

Your car mechanic buddy will probably be able to do this without a problem. He should be used to some cars with difficult to get to plugs. Have him watch this video and see how he feels.

If you decide to give it a go, the hose trick works very well to help get the plug started without cross threading. The idea is that the hose will give just enough friction to allow it to thread in if its NOT cross threading. If the hose starts to slip, it will slip long before you damage threads.

Doing the plugs is fairly easy on an XB, its just not as convenient as some bikes out there, like Harleys.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if changing spark plugs is out of your pay range, you may be in world of financial hurt with this bike. These bikes are getting close to 15 years old and a lot havent had the best maintenance. Being skilled with mechanical knowledge and skilled with tools is almost mandatory for a happy relationship with your bike. Unless, you find a good "BUELL FRIENDLY" mechanic. Not trying to be insulting or condescending.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-22-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I understand your point and have done a decent amount of work on my cars. Ever since I screwed that up 15 years ago I've avoided doing spark plugs myself. I guess my only real concern now is gapping the plugs correctly but I figure I can watch a video or two and buy a tool. Any tips for that part?

The best plugs for the Buell are Iridium, so... do NOT jam a 99¢ gapper from Vatozone in there and crank away. That style of plug should be gapped correctly, but always check.
    A slightly skilled auto tech would know how to help you. The front plug is easy, the rear is difficult to access but by far not impossible. Buy him a 12'er of decent beer and watch him closely while he does it for you

Check out this video. They show gapping an iridium plug at the 1:00 mark.

Like Cooter said, the front you can do by hand. If you screw it in by HAND and tighten with a tool you will be OK.

With the rear, if you use the rubber hose trick you should be able to get the spark plug to thread into the hole, and use a tool to tighten (like in the previous BuellXB.com video).

Normally stripping out a spark plug when installing is caused by threading it in using a tool (incorrectly)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got another buddy at work that agreed to help me with it next weekend. I wanted to do it this weekend but those exact plugs are impossible to find local, I can only get stock Harley around here. I cross threaded it exactly how you described, I used the ratchet right away and forced it in. but that was almost 20 years ago and I hope I'm a bit smarter now. There was also no YouTube back then so I couldn't watch a video or two first. This is my dream bike and I know it's not a $60k custom Harley but it's mine and I'm scared I'll damage my baby.

I had to order mine as well. I found a NAPA that had a couple in stock at their distribution center.

Inactive
    tankster: 3 suggestions 1 of which contradicts the vid but will make your life easier:
    1-do NOT access the front plug using the path between frame and motor. much more difficult than necessary. using your hand and a 5/8th inch box wrench simply remove the front factory air scoop (3 torx), the plug wire, sit down by the bike and simply remove/install that plug with the wrench and your fingers. quite simple.
    2-though some say otherwise....NGK all over the map with their recommendation....a tiny dab of anti-seize recommended on plug thread prior to installation.
    3-when job is completed you'll have 2 possible outcomes: one is a smooth running XB.....the other is a horrible running XB/one that barely starts. if that's the case 1 or more of these 3 things happened:
    you failed to properly install and seat the air intake horn between the TB and the airbox base plate
    you failed to plug in the IAT sensor which is located 4 o'clock on the airbox base plate
    you improperly installed or tore a plug wire during removal/install

Def #1, that's how I do it too.

And I pulled a wire apart on my SS when I first got it. The boot was holding onto that insulator like its life depended on it. Luckily my HD dealer had plug wires in stock, but I did have to look for the iridium plugs.

I'll volunteer to show you how, to drink the beer !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123