Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

Sorry, I am always apprehensive about cutting up my wiring harness on my vehicles. I'm sure it will help out someone else at some point (as long as they use the search feature, which I try to do before posting) But now that I've got the GPS cord routed, it really wasn't too bad. At least I was able to see that my spark plugs are looking rough.

Cardinal rule #1 on this forum, don't ask for help if you are not going to listen!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair I didn't ask how to wire it into the harness, I was asking about recommended heat wrap for the GPS cable I was going to run back over the heads to the battery. And he suggested I just wire it into the harness. But that's neither here nor there. I appreciate the suggestions regardless.

Just an FYI, if you want to replace your plugs with new OEM spark plugs, that is also acceptable.

I would do this, but I don't want to have to do this for while, and since the iridium plugs last a lot longer (from what I understand, I have no experience with it) I thought I'd go that route. I might very well play it safe and just go with OEM. I trust Lunatic but if it's really an issue open to debate, I might just avoid that and go with OEM.

Actually, I take that back. I trust Lunatic and mrlogix wisdom on this regarding spark plug gap. They seem to know a lot more about this than I do, and it seems logical. I'll just get those iridiums and pop them in. here is the thread that changed my mind (first and second posts, by Lunatic and mrlogix): http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...em-plugs/page2

Just follow Lunatic's advice...it will all work out. the rear head will test your patience, as he said, but it's not undoable. Take your time - when putting in the new plug, a nice length of fuel line hose works wonders for "starting" the plug into the socket with very little pressure or torque. This will keep the chances of cross-threading minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    a nice length of fuel line hose works wonders for "starting" the plug into the socket with very little pressure or torque.
    Like shove the top of the spark plug into the hose and use that to start it??

Yes, works like a rubber u-joint. Start the sparkplug thread straight and it wont strip the threads if you get it crossed up, it will just slip.

Nice. I'll try this out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast