Thread: Front Wheel lock stuck locked

Front Wheel lock stuck locked

Howdy, I have a XB9SX and it has been so fun! I had it sitting for a few weeks while it was really cold (I am in Texas so not long) and then when I went to ride it, I started the bike up, but then couldn't turn the wheel all the way. My brilliant roommate decided to try harder to turn the wheel and it made a cracking sound. I then was able to turn it back to the left but it cracked again. It almost feels like the front wheel stuck locked even though I had turned the key. I can wiggle it a little as if the wheel lock is engaged but it gets really hard to turn it very far, especially to turn past center. It has stopped making the cracking noise but is still VERY hard to turn. I unfortunately can't ride it to a shop in this condition. If anyone has any experience or ideas I would love to hear it!

Thank you!
    Last edited by happygizmo11; 02-06-2016 at 06:20 PM.

My guess would be the steering neck bearings had a catastrophic failure.
    It's the first time I've seen it on a bike that isn't 40 years old though! Double check there isn't anything physically hanging up between the forks and frame or bodywork, if you can't see anything then it's time to:
    Put the rear on a stand, jack up the front using the stock muffler jack point, pull the front fender/brake/wheel, drop out the fork legs, pull off the handle bars, top triple tree, and knock out the lower triple. Replace the stock bearings with tapered ones, and assembly is the reverse of removal.

Have fun, and don't forget the beer!

Cooter knows his stuff. It may be the bearing but if you suspect the steering lock take off the ignition switch from under the upper triple. 2 zip ties and 2 security torques bolts. If the switch functions properly in your hand check the bearing.

It might be the lock cylinder that took a sh-t.

If it's the ignition switch I have one for $60. shipped with 2 keys. PM me if you need one.

Sounds like you broke the lock. They aren't all that hard to break so if yall forced it it may have broke. Can't imagine a bearing would just fail for no reason when sitting there, they are usually a gets worse over time thing.