Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Planning XC trip on my Uly

Would it be possible to do a road side fuel pump change? I've never done a pump. ...

Oh, have you thought about a gps or phone mount? Something I've been needing to do, I hate not knowing where I'm going when I'm trying to get somewhere, don't mind being lost when I'm just out riding around lol.
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 02-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Inactive
    ward: received your email and sent return. let me make another suggestion here on your trip: suggestions have been made to freshen up/replace everything from the fuel pump to the ecm to the rotors. IMO no basis whatsoever to those suggestions and a waste of both time and money. buells are pretty tough machines if ridden sensibly. go thru the perishables as you've mentioned several times now and i can assure you after having logged over 40,000 miles on 18 different XB's that you are not going to have monumental problems. what i WOULD DO is compile a list of the factory part numbers for your 3 cables...your O2/ITS/TPS/OIL/NEUTRAL sensors as well as the automotive part numbers those sensors correspond to....including your fuel pump. all those numbers available on this site. make a short list of those numbers...their cross references to automotive...bulb and battery numbers...things of that nature. stash it in your tank bag or whatever. in the event of a break-down which will be very rare, you'll have those numbers and can immediately track down the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ward: received your email and sent return. let me make another suggestion here on your trip: suggestions have been made to freshen up/replace everything from the fuel pump to the ecm to the rotors. IMO no basis whatsoever to those suggestions and a waste of both time and money. buells are pretty tough machines if ridden sensibly. go thru the perishables as you've mentioned several times now and i can assure you after having logged over 40,000 miles on 18 different XB's that you are not going to have monumental problems. what i WOULD DO is compile a list of the factory part numbers for your 3 cables...your O2/ITS/TPS/OIL/NEUTRAL sensors as well as the automotive part numbers those sensors correspond to....including your fuel pump. all those numbers available on this site. make a short list of those numbers...their cross references to automotive...bulb and battery numbers...things of that nature. stash it in your tank bag or whatever. in the event of a break-down which will be very rare, you'll have those numbers and can immediately track down the parts.
    I agree with John. Replacing fuel pumps, motor mounts and rotors when they are perfect working order is just wasteful. The only thing i would add, aside from the advice John has previously given, is to carry an assortment of spare fuses and a spare relay. You likely won't need them but considering the minimal cost and storage space, it won't hurt to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by UMDterp13 View Post
    Have all necessary parts to rebuild a uly in southern md. Just for peace of mind. Also have some cool buell **** sitting around anyone can check out if they show up on an XB.

I can & have overnighted parts to several Ulysses/buell owners on trips.
    Jeff
    Good to know, thanks. If I get in trouble I'll cry out for help on the forum!

I'm with Lunatic. You are going cross country in the good ol' U S of A, not Antarctica. Parts will be available, and whatever annoying delay or detour they create will only lead to a new adventure! It's more important to pack cash, water, energy bars, and a first aid kit, than carrying parts you can get shipped to your hotel from e-bay.

My neighbor just got back from a year on the road with his dog, surfing the entirety of both coasts and sleeping in National forests. He did it with super minimal cash and had an AMAZING time...

It sounds like you're a reader too, so here's a suggestion:
    I met Glenn Haagstaad at the Miami Intl MC show. He authored his own true story "Two wheels through terror". Yes it's a horrible title...
    He is a giant man with Viking in his blood and a life long Jiu-Jitsu trainer. A few DAYS after The 9/11 he rode from Palm springs, CA to the tip of South America and got captured by rebels along the way!

If you are interested, I'll send you my copy of the book. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    I agree with John. Replacing fuel pumps, motor mounts and rotors when they are perfect working order is just wasteful. The only thing i would add, aside from the advice John has previously given, is to carry an assortment of spare fuses and a spare relay. You likely won't need them but considering the minimal cost and storage space, it won't hurt to have them.
    I should have thought of fuses myself. Last summer on my SS I blew a horn/tail brake light fuse in a rain storm. Drove half way down Vermont and into New York before I realized it when beeping the horn with no joy. My buddy on his Busa behind me must have thought I was some talented rider not needing my breaks thrust all those twisties! Fuses and relay on the list.
    Last edited by jl551c; 02-14-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: accidently hit post

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm with Lunatic. You are going cross country in the good ol' U S of A, not Antarctica. Parts will be available, and whatever annoying delay or detour they create will only lead to a new adventure! It's more important to pack cash, water, energy bars, and a first aid kit, than carrying parts you can get shipped to your hotel from e-bay.

My neighbor just got back from a year on the road with his dog, surfing the entirety of both coasts and sleeping in National forests. He did it with super minimal cash and had an AMAZING time...

It sounds like you're a reader too, so here's a suggestion:
    I met Glenn Haagstaad at the Miami Intl MC show. He authored his own true story "Two wheels through terror". Yes it's a horrible title...
    He is a giant man with Viking in his blood and a life long Jiu-Jitsu trainer. A few DAYS after The 9/11 he rode from Palm springs, CA to the tip of South America and got captured by rebels along the way!

If you are interested, I'll send you my copy of the book. PM me.
    Definitely interested. Ill send PM. I got the reading habit in the Navy. Not much to do but work, workout and read on ships.

Excellent advice from all. Thanks all. I'll compile a list and post before I shove off in May.

Ill get the part numbers and store them on my phone. Take a snap shot.

Ill get the part numbers and store them on my phone. Take a snap shot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast