Thread: Hand Made 1125 Set Cowl

Post Hand Made 1125 Set Cowl

Hello Buellers,
    I wanted to learn how to make a part out of fiberglass and I thought I would start with a belly pan for my 1125cr. After a weekend of making a attempt I figured i bit off more than I could chew . After admitting to my defeat I figured I would try to make a cowl that replaces the rear seat cowl. I know I can buy one off ebay for 35 bucks but remember I want to learn how to fiberglass. My theory was to form the part out of foam and then fiberglass over it. Sound easy huh? Not knowing where to buy a 4" thick piece of foam I figured I can make my own block of foam out of a can of expanding spray foam. After forming up a jig to spray the foam into and waiting for it to cure it didn't turn out as planned. The 4" thick block of foam had a 3" void in the center of it . Back to the drawing board.. I called a few hobby shops to see if they had any blocks of foam but had no luck. I went to Home Depot and found a sheet of 2" thick 4'x6' sheets of foam. I purchased the sheet of foam, cut it, and glued the two pieces together. Now the mess began from cutting and sanding the foam. After spending 50 hours and remaking it a couple of times I ended up with what I wanted. I feel it flows with the lines on the back fender and with that chamfer on the front my belt or jacket shouldn't get hung up but I still will be securely retained by this cowl due to the 2" vertical lip. I finished the surfaces with Bondo. After sanding down the Bondo the part felt to heavy (3 pounds) and since this part was an exact fit, the part would be to wide after I put fiberglass over it. So this means this part needs to become a mold (cool, maybe I can make a couple and sell them). I glued paper to the flat surface of the part to make a two piece mold and laid fiberglass over my part. After letting it all cure my two halves split apart fairly easy but in the process I destroyed the foam mold but I ended up with a pretty nice two piece mold that I'm proud of. For now this is where I stand. Next weekends project is to try and make fiberglass cowls out of this mold.

I hope you enjoy,
    JP

Good on you for learning a new skill to put in your mental toolbox!

It sure beats saying "Aww darn, no one makes that thing I want." and giving up. Old skool is new skool again!

Im with cooter.....good for you. ANYONE CAN BUY ANYTHING! A lot more pride when someone says, man that's badasss, where did you get that.....I BUILT IT!!!!!!

Thanks for the complements guys. Next project is turbo charging my buell. I'm guessing I'll start with designing low compression pistons.

I made my own cowl for my xb last year. I did it a little different. Instead of foam, I made a wire frame skeleton. Then stretched fabric and resin over it. I think I'm going to go with a different seat/cowl, more like a cafe racer style, and I'll hang this one on the wall.
    Matt

Looks good Matt. I tried to make a belly pan for my buell using steel rod but I had to hard of a time holding the rods in place while I tack weld them...

I love seeing DIY threads like this. Not enough of these on here anymore. Makes it sort of boring..
    Good work! Looks great!