Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell XB high performance front isolator

Great idea and work, hope someone will make the part. I would buy just to have the extra part.

You would be better off having a company cast it out of aluminum like the factory one. Have the holes and bore machined out. If you make that out of a solid chunk of aluminum, you will be into it way more than $150. Would be nice if someone could make this happen though.

This is great to see. Just another example of the passion that comes from Buell enthusiasts. Also I know it's been said but that's some incredible work you did there.

I would buy one too no worries!

TPEHAK, very nice CAD work, but working in a machine shop for over 32 years, the programming time would cost you double alone, then you would need to do the testing on the part, a lot of R&D time, don't get me wrong its a great idea, just the cost would be high, I would love to see some type of rebuild kit for the worn out mount. Just my 2 cents.

Great idea but as people have already said the machining is gonna kill ya. I ran your step file through the instant online cnc machining website xometry.com. Just the front engine mount alone came out to $563.19 for one off. To get the machining price for that one part down to below $150 you have to order at least 50 of them. Unless you can find a really good cheap local machine shop that will machine for beer tokens then its going to be a sticking point.

I would suggest that you you look to see if the original casting is reusable in some way? Could the old rubber part be pushed out or machined out? You could then use a more simple insert for your rubber rod assembly to replace the Buell rubber bonded mount.
    The new assembly could all be machined on a lathe and would cost a lot less than the engine mount. The original engine mounts could be reused in an exchange basis like car alternators.

If you have a 3d model of the original Buell front engine mount I could model something up to help explain my suggestion

I am not sure how much life my engine mount has left in it so I am kinda eager to find a solution for this also

Banned
    The original engine mount might work. I didn't create 3D model for the original isolator. I'm considering to check the price from China prototyping company, or to use a cheap CNC Chinese desktop routed to mill the bracket.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 03-05-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Hi Tpehak – Great news indeed!!

I’m a retired marine engineer and live on Bainbridge which is only a 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle. During my career I did a quite a bit of R&D and product development. Would be happy to assist in your efforts any way I can.

Not looking for a freebee. Once the isolator is ready to sell, the only thing I would ask for is that my name be put near the top of the list to purchase.

I guess I could throw it out there, I do noise and vibration testing for work. I could throw some accelerometers on the stock part and aftermarket to fine tune the durometer of the rubber. Probably could even do some testing on the stock piece to get a ballpark stiffness.

Just a quick thought on this front isolator problem.... Has anybody filled their mount with Polyurathane sealant?
    The mount has very similar gaps to the rubber mounts unsed on my Audi S4 rear diff and a favorite way to help stiffen these up was to fill the gaps with this stuff http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/p...esive-sealant/

Here is a good write up using a liquid polyurathane instead but it basicly the same process http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng97.shtml

Last edited by camouflage; 03-10-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast