Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to polish marks from instrument cluster face

How to polish marks from instrument cluster face

Any thoughts on what's the safest of most effective way to remove marks and restore an instrument panel lens face? My CR & 12S have marks on the face left from previous owners. There are many plastic polishing products like Nova and Meguiars for general plastic body panels, but should the face of the instrument panel be treated differently?

P1250556a.jpg
    Last edited by au-rora; 04-19-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Anyone is free to call me out on this, but just treat it as your other plastic panels. You'd be hard pressed to do any damage to it by experimenting a bit with various polishes

I've used the Novus kits on instrument lens and it works great.

Down here, this Aussie stuff works pretty well on bug splatter, but not sure yet which product to try on the instrument face.

buggeroff.jpg

Have you looked into plastic film? it comes in so many types nowadays and sticks so well like a clear wrap if you like, now it could improve the look or make it worse! it comes in various really subtle shades of colour too, maybe a slight tint would help? or shall i do like your spray says and bugger off!! ha ha ha

Hahaha! Thanks Tone! Very good...
    So now you've let the black cat out of your bag... you are black filming your bike - section by section.
    Have you tried black filming those burning silver rings of Saturn? Haha
    However, I think I might try some ajax on a toothbrush. Worked on my teeth; might work on the dash face too??

If the scratches are too deep for regular plastic polish to get out, use the same exact rules as polishing anything else. Keep going to a slightly heavier grit until the scratches go away, then re-polish with lighter grit until it's clear and not foggy.

Regular toothpaste, "soft scrub", polishing compound are all pretty light and if they don't get out the scratches, go to rubbing compound. The rubbing compound will leave the screen foggy, but then use polish, then plastic polish to clear it up.

A headlight restoration kit should have tiny quantities of everything you need.

Is that clear??

Seriously, thanks for your input guys. Good sound advice Cooter.

Try my idea you may be surprised!! i doubt it but you may be! ha ha ha yeah i just put a load of dustbin liners on my bike and then heated them!! lol oh you may mock but those burning halos will be gone oneday! I HOPE!! The latest delivery date is around the 12th of never i believe!! Good luck sorting out your instrument cluster you ungrateful git! ha ha ha ha ha

Tone, I'm sure you know that you have a bunch of mates gunning with you for the black rotors. I am certainly one. I bet, even amongst the ever silent lurkers! Hope it comes together soon.
    My only experience with plastic film is limited to using heat shrink over electrical wiring. And that's great stuff!!
    However, I'll think on your suggestion. May post a shot of the results?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast