Thread: Looking for HID headlight guidance

Looking for HID headlight guidance

My pathetic halogen headlight has burned out on my 03 xb9r and I'm looking into upgrading instead of just replacing with stock. I'm finding a bunch of vague stuff online and I'm wondering where people have had the best luck. I see DDM tuning sells a kit and is the pretty affordable. I also found one on amazon that is comparable in pricing from Kensun.... and a few others. I wanted to hear from others that have purchased a kit and who makes the best quality for the money, but I don't want to have to do a bunch of cutting and soldering. I also want to retain the ability to run dim lights when I don't want to blind people.
    I searched and scanned the forums but not being able to search 3 letter words and acronyms made it a little challenging.

I run a DDM HID for the low beam only. It's been installed a couple of years and has continued to work through periods where my Firebolt has had starting problems, electrical issues, etc. I don't recall the exact installation procedure but it wasn't too difficult. There may be a post or two on our forum about it. I kept the halogen for the high beam since HIDs do not like being switched off and on constantly. Since the 'bolt already has projector lenses, the HID has a nice cutoff. I only needed to adjust the lighting angle a little bit and have never had anyone flash me at night. The lighting is great. In fact, most of the time I only use the low beam. I did end up putting a time delay relay in the circuit though. The process of starting the bike made the HID go on and off and back on again while the starter cranked. Now I start the bike and about 45 seconds later the HID fires up.

I'm not sure I'd go with any kit that wasn't from a well known company like DDM, but that's just me. Definitely do the mod. It wasn't that involved and it is definitely an improvement over halogen lighting.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...-headlight-kit

Im thinking of making this kit if you would be interested alot brighter than stock. I have it on an 03 xb9r.

I just started researching this myself since I rode off this morning and realized my low beam doesn't work. Does DDM sell a single HID bulb for the low beam side? and what is the mod that is done to keep both lights on when switching to high beam?

Yes they do.

Search "Buell headlight mod" it's a sticky...