Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 X1 project from Finland

Finlands license plate for motorcycles is a huge rape from behind to my buells nice bottom so I put it on the side mounting style. It isn't beautiful but at least other side of the bike isn't raped mounted on the axle and supported by brake caliber. It just passes the laws here.

How about seat? I hated when the original plastic seat base surrendered under my ass so I made new seat base from 3mm thick aluminium. It works like original and there is even storage only slightly smaller than my wallet

Finished with with very heavy foam and a sanding process from hell

After some finishing touches

Dam! You have some skills man!
    Would love to know more about that seat and the fab process required to achieve final product.
    Very cool

Well, seat base was just welded up like a puzzle. I bought everlast AC/DC tig at the time and seat base was my first practise job. Then it was just a case of filing and sanding it smooth...

Foam was 30mm thick and clued to the base with 3M contact cement. I clued 3 layers on top of each other and cut it roughly with long knife. Then I clued final layer and carefully smoothened it with angle grinder and fiber disc. I had to make it really smooth because didn't want any smoothing layers before cover. This made it fit nicely. Seat became much more comfortable than the original even its very firm. Shape is far more important than softness

That's your first TIG weld?!? Lord, I need to step up my game.

I highly doubt that the seat pan is his first rodeo with a TIG torch. Maybe the first with that particular machine. Welding aluminum is no joke and those welds, along with the other metal work that's been posted, lead me to believe this guy is a custom auto-body guy or a former aircraft mechanic.
    Definitely a skilled metal fabricator.

But I'm sure you were just being facetious
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-28-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Actually that seat was my first time welding aluminum. I learned to weld steel with tig when I made the tubular tail. I tried tig welding once on a piece of aluminum sheet when I was in army 2008 but I had no clue how to do anything with tig torch then. Mig welding is old friend from the past but I dont really like it. Too many rotten cars here in Finland 😃

Well DAM!

You're a natural!

surrendered under my ass
    Quote. of. the. day.

That was great.

But seriously, nice craftsmanship. I really like the direction you are going. That subframe and undertail work amazing together with the rest of the bike. Keep it up!

Jauhoparta i need you to come to England and bring all your equipment with you! You are the only one who can save my sanity by building me a seat for my Xb! Lol silly thing is i am not actually joking you could build my vision!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast