Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I feel like an idiot...

Well, I feel like an idiot...

So, I purchased a 2003 buell xb9s. It has just 6,800 miles on it and got it for a steal for $2400. All was great and excitement was/has been flowing ever since. 200 miles of riding later, I get the Check Engine Light. Could not for the life of me figure out what it was. Buellxb.com to the rescue!.....almost. so off to Buelltooth I went to buy the Bluetooth and downloaded ECMDROID on my phone. Popped up code 36, cooling fan (short to ground). So now I'm thinking I'm going to have to chase wires for physical examination (which isn't bad to do after purchasing any vehicle). Then I got to thinking..... what did I do different from the time I got the bike until I first saw the Engine Light? Well, when purchasing any vehicle, after I get it home I check all of the fuses in the fuse box to make sure they are in good working order. This entails taking each on out and putting it back in. I ran a diagnostic to run the fan from my app, and nothing. There are only 2-75 amp fuses in the fuse box, and only one spot in the box without a fuse. I got a diagram, and sure enough, I had put a fuse into a non-active position when it was supposed to have been replaced into the slot for the cooling fan. Moved it, re-ran the check fan diagnostic, and bam!, fan was spinning! So, had I not been a short memoried amateur, I could have saved myself $50 and the worry of whether it was something serious. Although, stored codes also appeared but weren't current, so it was nice to see the history of the bike. Here is a picture of what came up on ecmdroid when I first installed and launched the application. Check your fuses folks! It really can be something that simple! Happy buelling!

It's a good thing you had the presence of mind to research a little and use some resources to figure out the root cause of the CEL.
    A lesser minded Bueller would have replaced the fan, then posted a "please help no fan" thread after doing all that work.
    Good for you for checking the simple stuff first.

The $50 you spent is a good investment, next time something pops up you'll already have the tools to diagnose.

Well done you did it just right by thinking of what happened between "no problem" and "problem" a lot of people dont do that as chickn said! And any problem that can be solved for $50 however small sounds good to me, also you have that very valuable tool now which will pay dividends in the future!

$50 bucks for a Bluetooth dongle!
    Where?
    I'll take one

Ok maybe not a dongle then! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    $50 bucks for a Bluetooth dongle!
    Where?
    I'll take one

It's about $50 w/shipping here:

http://www.buelltooth.com/

Cole/Azmidget sells his for $69 shipped but he seems pretty confident that his is superior product. If I didn't already have one I'd buy from Cole. You can get in touch with him here:

https://m.facebook.com/buellbluetoot...54186991324853

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    Just curious, these devices are of no use to apple product users?
    I'm not an Apple user so I have no idea of what is available for Mac computers but I am certain there are no apps for iOS that are compatible with Buell ecms.

The good news is that there are a plethora of low cost Android tablets that you can use the ECMDroid app on. You can even use an old Android phone, just reset the phone and skip the cellular activation part using it solely on Wi-Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    Just curious, these devices are of no use to apple product users?
    ECMDROID is android only. I lucked out, because just last month I upgraded to the Galaxy s7 from an iPhone 5. Timing couldn't have been better. But yes, Android tablets can be had for about $40. Check your local pawn shops as well, might get one even cheaper.

Here is an android tablet from Walmart for $35. Only catch is it only comes in purple. But will do what you need it to. RCA 7" Tablet 8GB Quad Core - Walmart.com
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tabl...-Core/45804398

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast