Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Buelling across America!

Sweet! Thanks

I said the exact same thing about Wisconsin. Visually it's nearly a twin of Upstate NY without the Adirondacks. Weather looks good toward end of the week here. 20-40 percent chance of afternoon showers but pretty mild. You'll cruise into Lake Luzerne with no issues. Almost there. Stay focused and be safe.

Day 9 in the books. Ironwood, Michigan to Espinola, Ontario. 473.7 miles. Quite a day. Started off at 5:15 am waking up. Couldn't sleep cuz too excited to get moving. Weatherman said little rain here or there. Well, it rained steady for almost 200 miles. I got to see the UP thru a rain spotted visor. It finally cleared up and turned out to be a beautiful day. Long ride but I didn't feel like stopping. 55 for quite a long time with slowing down to 25 or 35 when going thru towns. I stand on the pegs thru the slow parts. Completely cures gluetemus maximus hurtalotis for a few more miles. Funny how getting up for just a short time helps. I've got to say the the Michilin Pilot Road 4 GT's are great tires in the rain. No slips. Felt like dry pavement. My Sena 20s worked great in the rain too. Jammed out to the Eagles while traveling thru the UP. Crossing into Canada was easy. Take off helmet, show passport or card and answer a few questions. He raised his eyebrows a bit when I said I started in California. In fact just about everyone does. Canada is beautiful. Lots of lakes, rivers and forests. Signs are out not to feed the Bears. Good roads. Speed limit and miles signs are in kilometers of course. I remembered that I have a speedometer app on my phone so I just changed it from miles to Klicks to reduce the mental math. I don't want a ticket here. Speed limits could be higher but that's probably just me having to slow down from the first week or so.
    Tomorrow I'm riding a ferry across Lake Huron/Georgia bay. I'm a sucker for boat rides. Pretty cheap and only an hour and 45 mins. I'm having a ball. I'm really glad I did this.

If they don't believe you refer them to the form.... We might get a new member to the buell family not many bikes can take on the challenge......

How many total miles on your bike at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Pjf53 View Post
    How many total miles on your bike at this point?
    16,685 total miles on the bike. 3,729 on the bike so far this trip. I still have one leg to go.

Day 10. Longest day of the trip so far. 483.6 miles for the day. I started in Espinola, Ontario and ended just across the US border in the Thousand Islands area on the St. Lawrence Seaway. It's also the first day I've ridden partly in the dark. Crossing the border again a snap. I have to say the the Manatoulin Island region of Ontario is very pretty. I had breakfast on the island and like so many other places I've visited the cafes are filled with older gents drinking coffee and wearing ball caps with various farm equipment or other manly, working type emblems on the hat. Only once so far was I reminded of the cafe scene of the Movie Easy Rider, (they'll never make it to the border), and even then they turned out friendly. I could tell the gents today wanted to ask me questions and caught them staring at me several times. I wish they had. It's always nice to hear their story and know what they're curios about.
    I took the hour, 45 min ferry across Lake Huron/Georgia Bay. Very beautiful and pleasant ride. The lake is MASSIVE. Motorcycles load first and are first off the boat. Nice. The boat was really big. My motorcycle jacket attracts other bikers and I had a nice conversation with a Canadian biker. Great guy and interesting conversation. We're all really alike and swapping stories is always fun. I also had other people pick my brain. Most are amused that I've done this solo. Never once have I felt real danger and never once have I regretted traveling is what I tell them. After the ferry I continued across Ontario. I was jammin out to some music and rubber necking the farm lands and suddenly realized I was off course and didn't know where I was. I stopped and looked at the map. Chose a new route that turned out to be good dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, but I got where I needed. The Uly handled the dirt roads with aplomb. My iPhone GPS wasn't working in this area. I've become over dependent of the soft voice telling me when to turn in my headset. I'll have to remind myself that maps are always better than GPS because maps look better with coffee stains, as Peter Egan says anyway. Ontario has significant farm land. Very impressive with the old houses and HUGE barns. I ended up gambling on traffic past Toronto and lost that gamble. A minor nightmare getting thru. It was hot and the traffic was very slow. But after a while traffic opened up and everyone respected the 100 KPH speed limit by going 130 KPH, (about 80). I was humming along over the northern shore of Lake Ontario. Not much to see here so I poured on the gas and decided to make New York State my goal. I'm in the thousand island area tonight. It's a beautiful part of upstate New York. Unfortunately it was dark when I came in so I'll back track a few miles and check it out before heading to my beloved Adirondacks and to my camp in Lake Luzerne. I have to add, my glutes were barking at the end of today's ride.
    Tomorrow is my last leg of the journey. I'm sad to be done this soon, but also happy to do lots of exploring this summer. The sights and smells from the past 10 days are unforgettable.
    More tomorrow.

image.jpg
    Ferry boat

image.jpg
    Vehicles exiting the boat before I can drive on.

image.jpg
    Inside the ferry.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast