Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob with tool questions

Noob with tool questions

I'm about to pick up a 2004 XB12s. I've always done my own mechanical work on all my machines, but this is my first " modern"
    Bike. What kind of special diagnostic tools will I need? The bike has about 18 k miles on it and except for a broken turn signal is pretty clean. What's a fair price? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I live in New Orleans and the asking price is $3200.00. I'm Also considering a Ducati for about the same $. Btw I tried to edit my profile but couldn't.

Buells are stupid easy to work on. If you've got some experience on other motorized machines, you're going to be just fine. Lightning models seem to hold their value better. I would expect the guy was asking 3500-4000 for 04/18k. In truth, the purchase price would likely be near the bottom of that range.

As for specialty tools, you should get yourself a bluetooth dongle or cable for ECMSpy and the program itself. That's what you'll use for any diagnostic/troubleshooting and (ahem) TPS resets. Welcome to the computer age!
    Can't think of anything that I needed that wasn't already in my toolbox except a locking tool out of metal stock or door hinge. Others are likely to chime in.

Bike definitely looks like its been down...dent in header...there are alot of mint condition Buells out there in the $4000-$4500 range, you will probably be putting $$$ into that one to fix it up. IMO.
    Also a nice T27 torx driver comes in handy to remove just about every cover.

I agree, I would definitely keep looking. There are tons of buells out there that come from a good home but just need to be sold. The key is patience, a thorough inspection, and a good old test ride. Good luck with the purchase.

Yea, I wouldn't necessarily run away from it due to being down either. Go take a look and use it as a negotiation point. 12 year old bike that's been down and he's willing to trade it? You might get a good deal.

Worth mentioning that is a Micron full system exhaust on that bike. It's possible he put the pipe on there already rushed from the precious bike it was on. It would take some work and dollars but that header is definitely worth repairing and recoating. Microns are quite pricey.

*rashed* and *previous*

Goddamnit ich

Also looks like a select seat, but missing the handle

PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast