Thread: Losing light?

Losing light?

This just started recently while I'm riding my xb9r, the lights on the speedometer dim as well as my front lights even with the high beams on? Is there something I need to check? spark plugs? regulator? Ideas??

I would first check that the battery terminals, grounds(at subframe and steering neck)and all connectors are clean and tight. I would also check that the fuses all relays all look good and that none are loose.
    After checking all that, I would insure that my battery was good. Test the battery under load.
    If all that checks out then you may need to dig a little deeper into the actial charging/electrical system of the bike.

Report back your findings.

Good luck

Start it and put a voltmeter on the battery. You should have more than 12.5 Volts at 2500 rpm. If you don't, something in your charging system is bad.

Post the answer here and we'll try to help

ok i've checked the fuses and my light fuse was a little burned out and switched it out. Made sure all the cables and wires were tight and secure. Battery was tested and is fine. So far no troubles will continue to monitor though thanks guys!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MMARVINxb9 View Post
    This just started recently while I'm riding my xb9r, the lights on the speedometer dim as well as my front lights even with the high beams on? Is there something I need to check? spark plugs? regulator? Ideas??
    kneel down at the front left side of your firebolt and look up beneath and behind the fairing mounting bracket assembly. a running design change made during the course of the 03-04 model years. look for a cluster of small black wires that will either be mounted to the bottom triple clamp or head stock area with a torx screw....or via a washer and nut to the fairing bracket assembly. those are your front ground wires and control most all functions forward of the airbox assembly. find them, inspect, clean as required and check that the wires are securely fitted into the wire eyelets. electrical gremlins that you described traditionally associated with those grounds.

Okay I'll look at those wires next I know what your talking about.

I've checked everything wires and ground are all connected nothings loose. mad sure everything was fastened tight. Like I mentioned before I did change out a couple fuses as they looked a little burned out and haven't had any issues with the dimming. Seems the issue has resided. Thanks for ya'lls help!!

Very strange solution to the symptoms.

you know I think my battery wasn't screwed in all the way because I did tighten up the terminals