Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error 21, DCV readings suggest bad ECM, looking for a second opinion.

Error 21, DCV readings suggest bad ECM, looking for a second opinion.

Hey there. I have a 2006 XB12Ss with ~9k miles, no mods, that has started to have some issues.

Within the past couple weeks the bike has started to miss and stumble, it seems like it happens more often after breaking 4k rpm. Also started getting little puffs in the exhaust on decel, which is new. Went to check the exhaust valve actuator (ignition/engine start on, WOT, watch the actuator cycle) and it threw a code 21. The actuator does cycle though, so I went down the troubleshooting flowchart. With ignition on, engine start on, I checked voltage from pin 2 (ground) to the TN/V cable where 161 plugs into the actuator. I read 0.04V. Looks like continuity is good, looks like power is good, cable 164 leading to ECM reads a steady 5V. Troubleshooting chart tells me to replace the ECM. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm slow to pull the trigger on this as it's a big chunk of change and I still don't really understand what the underlying issue is.
    Last edited by Angor; 07-24-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Bike info

Hello Angor, what motorcyle, year, etc...

Have you tried using ecmspy to disable to exhaust actuator?
    Im curious to see if you throw the same code.
    BTW what year and how many miles on your bike?
    Any mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Have you tried using ecmspy to disable to exhaust actuator?
    Im curious to see if you throw the same code.
    BTW what year and how many miles on your bike?
    Any mods?
    Doh, right. It's an '06 XB12Ss, no mods unless the K&N air filter counts. About 9k miles right now, got it last year at 4k miles and whoever had it previously had done the ziptie-the-actuator-cable mod, which I put back on.

I grabbed TunerPro RT this week so I'm pretty fresh to it, but I wanted to check to make sure the actuator was enabled so that I at least knew it should be applying a voltage to the TN/V wire. I haven't tried disabling and checking the error code, I could give that a shot. I could just re-ziptie it and disable the thing, but if one part of the ECM is going down I'm not keen to wait on losing the rest of it.

I'm with you on IF one part of the ECM is failing. I was just suggesting shutting off/dissabilingnthe actuator to see if something between the actuator and ECM is causing your error.

There's a guy near me selling an ECM for $125. I'm sure you can get it shipped to you for $100. Tell him Carlos sent you to his craigslist add. Guys name is Chris.
    Here's his add
    https://greensboro.craigslist.org/mpo/5656896923.html

That's if you decide to replace the ECM.

I gotcha, I went right out and tried it, when I disable the AMC and do the ign on/engine start/WOT procedure I still throw a code. If I just turn the ignition on normally (without WOT) I get no code, it seems to only be when the actuator is engaged. This happens with AMC set on as well.

Side question, when I connect to the bike via TunerPro I get a flag that I'm not quite sure what to make of. It reads: Error Mask Byte 0: Rear 02 Inactive. When I double click on it, there's an unchecked Set box. I'm a little confused because I'm not sure if this is an error or if it's giving me an option to disable/enable the rear O2 sensor?

Edit: Also, thanks for the link on the ECM, much appreciated! Looks like he's sold it already, though.
    Last edited by Angor; 07-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Hey no problem.
    I'm sorry but I'm not much of an electrical/tuning guru. Hopefully someone more versed in such things will chime in.

Well, looks like it's just a toggle for the error itself, I assume so that tuners have easy access when they disable the O2 sensor.

In other news, if anyone knows if it's normal for my TPD to fluctuate at idle (bounces from 3.7 to 4.2) and have some outliers (where the TPD is way off the line with the TPS) that'd be great.

Bike's been surging and every so often when I cut the throttle it'll stumble and completely reset, lose my gauges/etc and the trip meter resets as well. It's only for like a millisecond. I have a log if anyone's able to look them over.

How old is battery?
    And have you checked that all your grounds are tight and clean?

Inactive
    Bike's been surging and every so often when I cut the throttle it'll stumble and completely reset, lose my gauges/etc and the trip meter resets as well. It's only for like a millisecond.

that's pure electrical. factory rubber battery strap or suitable substitute must be in place. cables on both ends particularly battery terminal end must be tight and pristine. i would also remove your flyscreen and check the main feeder harness going to the gauge cluster for connectivity to the cluster. also look at the cluster harness and be sure it's not rubbed thru on a headlight bucket bolt or the horn bracket. rare but can happen. the 2004-2007 EVA units located atop the inner airbox lid known to strip plastic gears due to worn/damaged cable and/or stuck muffler valve. throws error code #21 and historically stores same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast