Thread: 06 Ulysses Overheating

06 Ulysses Overheating

Hi everyone,

I am a new Uly owner. Im loving the bike but am noticing a reoccurring problem. I live in Georgia and ride in the heat all the time with no issues. Whenever I get on the highway however, the bike will start to have issues. After sitting at 3.5k RPM for around 10 miles, the bikes will cut power and the red engine light will come on. If I back off the throttle slightly, the bike will be happy again, but if I let it go above 3.5, it will do it over and over. It seems like the bike is overheating. Both fans run and the oil is at the correct level. I do notice a weird sound when I am hard on the throttle sometimes, like there is a rattling in the engine, but that isnt consistent. Im not sure what this could be.

Inactive
    board flooded this month with heat-related issues a few of which mirror your 2006 symptoms. use the link below as a step-by-step procedure to check for stored trouble codes on your ulysses' ecm. this procedure will NOT allow you to clear any stored codes.....however 50 trouble-free run cycles will self-accomplish that for you. use the following steps now:
    1-your ulysses has 1 fan....not 2.....unless auxilary fan installed by someone.
    2-living in GA your uly motor really needs all the cooling help it can get. consider the comfort-kit factory RSS set-up. well worth the price of admission.
    3-regarding "on-throttle rattling" you'll get well-intended tips advising against certain brands of fuel....adding octane boosters to your tank....sea-foam....possibly more. check the tightness of your header flanges to your exhaust port studs......the front isometric flexible motor to frame mount.....and behind your flyscreen for a loose or broken horn bracket. all these items known to cause rpm-specific rattling and should be checked. some 05-08 ulysses models also suffered from a loose steering head lock pin which causes a rattling/pinging type of noise at specific rpm's but that gremlin fairly rare.
    4-lastly.....check for cleanliness and tightness of your battery cable and terminal connections.....and that your seat-base has not broken or cracked your ecm unit mounted fore of the battery.
    i suspect a fuel pump or cps unit headed toward death-row but perform the above first then report back.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-27-2016 at 11:30 AM.

I just picked up a 2006 and have only ridden maybe 30 miles. I was putzing around the Russian River campground at idle in first and noticed a lot of heat coming off it after 10 minutes of this. The fan then came on and stayed on till I got back 20 minutes later. I was surprise how much heat they can give off at very low horsepower point (idle). It is a wonderful 60F out... not 90F. I was a little surprised because the few times I have ridden it the fan only came on when you park it. I noticed a couple engine knocks when up shifting too soon at very low speeds. The gas here is AK is very low octane, 87 and the premium is only 89. I will put in premium which isn't so premium compared to 93 octane I am use to in Dallas. The compression ratio is 10:1 so that really does need premium.

Don't lug it to much with crappy gas. The low octane gas actually burns faster than high octane gas. The knocking you are hearing is the gas/air mixture exploding before the piston is all the way up and it's trying to slam it back down in the wrong direction.
    These motors are tough, but that's not healthy.

Don't worry about whether the fan is on or off. It doesn't mean it's overheating. Just let it do its thing.

Yes they throw off some heat. Your legs (and all the bit's in between them) are inches from the heads and exhaust.