Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: heard a lot of noise on the road today

That's a generous offer^^^^^ I'd take him up on it and stock his beer fridge too

Buell248, I've been working on cars and bikes a very long time and never knew that awesome drill guide existed! Thanks for the heads up! (Pun alert!!!)

Time to go shopping....

You would have to be a fool if you didn't take it to John. He is the man for sure. It don't get any better than that!

wow... thanks so much for the offer Lunatic! I will see if I can find a way to make that happen. I am south of Salisbury MD out on the shore, so getting to you will take some planning. How long do you think it might take to do?

Can someone tell me the correct threading on the bolt? and what replacement bolt I should look for?

Inactive
    wow... thanks so much for the offer Lunatic! I will see if I can find a way to make that happen. I am south of Salisbury MD out on the shore, so getting to you will take some planning. How long do you think it might take to do?

2 hours max for the job....2 more hours of BS'ing about buells and bikes.

So I am guessing that bolt was missing?

The bolt size is a grade 8 5/16-18 x 2-1/4" socket head and get a nut that fits.

UPDATE... I found a guy to drill out the leftover bolt, and replace it. Luckily it was the front pipe, so we could get to it without much hassle. I got one day in to ride for a few hours, and parked it in my garage. When I went out this morning to get it out to ride in to work, I noticed a bit of the exhaust wrap was missing, and as I leaned down to inspect, I found this....20160816_100936.jpg

So I suspect that when the exhaust was re attached, it was "pulling" a bit on the pipe, and I guess this has probably been stressing that pipe for a long time, and may have even been the cause of the original bolt problem.

Anyone have an idea of a good place to start looking for new pipes?

You can find headers on eBay.
    I honestly don't think you need them. Looks to me like you need to replace some worn out header wrap. That stuff doesn't last forever and gets quite brittle.
    I would remove all the header wrap and inspect the headers. If you don't see any cracks, then the headers don't need to be replaced. After inspection you can either replace the wrap or clean the headers.

Personally, I think it would be more advantageous of you to take Lunatic up on his offer. Taking the time to have an expert look at your exhaust system, and insure everything is installed correctly, is better time and money spent on your bike than replacing a part you're not even sure is faulty.

chickn totally agree with a visit to lunatic but look at the picture is that black line a crack? i could be wrong but looks like get headers then go see lunatic!

Looks to me like someone drew on the header wrap with a sharpie(marker).
    I don't see any metal in that photo.

You wearing your trifocals Tone? Ha ha!
    Post the picture you're inspecting Tone, it's obviously differs from the one I'm looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Looks to me like someone drew on the header wrap with a sharpie(marker).
    I don't see any metal in that photo.

You wearing your trifocals Tone? Ha ha!
    Post the picture you're inspecting Tone, it's obviously differs from the one I'm looking at?
    The headers are cracked, hard to tell if you are looking at it with a small screen, but you can see its not a mark or a blemish when you really take a look.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast