Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: heard a lot of noise on the road today

Hey mate i think its time to buy me some binoculars then! ha ha ha to me the line looks like the two halves have separated but i must admit now its a bit of an unusual shape crack!

Yeeehaaa thanks ryashon01! chickn wanna buy some glasses! ha ha ha ha ha

Dam! You guys are right!
    Had to blow the image up so I could see it!
    Guess I need to get my trifocals checked!

Somewhere those headers are getting seriously stressed for them to crack like that! When you do replace them insure you either have lunatic install the replacements or follow the service manual!

It sure is the prettiest crack i ever saw! has anyone seen a crack like that before?

Inactive
    jon: received the PM you sent me on this. your header is junk. all XB9 headers are the same EXCEPT ones from bikes manufactured after approx. 1-10-2009 which have a bung in front cylinder tube for an additional O2 sensor. even that one will fit your bike if you plug the threaded bung. having said that and to answer your PM...buy a good used or new XB9 header....read link below which is lengthy but very accurate and detailed with pics. you will need to follow these steps to replace the header. also buy a new O2 sensor and replace while doing the job. O2 sensor installed in rear cylinder portion of the header. bosch crosses over and cheap on evilbay. get some help if needed as you mentioned in your note to me....simple hand tools and floor jack all that is needed. once the header is installed then yes....bring the bike and all your parts i previously mentioned in prior response up to me and i will correctly install all for you including the cowling. i do NOT have the time right now to install a header as booked up with shop work thru the end of the year. hope that helps. see link.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...gine-With-Pics!

Oh boy...
    So I have not yet gotten my hands on a new set of pipes, but worst case scenario I can still get a new set from HD within a week for roughly $350., but I am probably going to search out a used option in good shape. In the mean time, I removed the lower exhaust, and front pipe piece, which was broken completely from the other pipe, leaving the rest of the pipe connected to the rear head. You can see the newly replaced bolt in the pic
    brokepipe.jpg
    Today I have started to dismantle the bike, following the link sent by Lunaticfringe to Wiznut's step by step dismantle process, and I have found a few differences in the wiring around the throttle body on my bike. Maybe it's fine... but I don't know.
    When I took off the exhaust on the bottom, I noticed the previous install was done incorrectly, and even had the front muffler mount bolt missing... so I need to find out what size bolt that is, and replace it. I think this bad install is what led to all of the stress and shaking that caused the bolt to snap, and the pipe to crack.

This image shows my XB9, with the fuel line disconnected and coil wiring disconnected. The rest is how I found it.
    wiring1.jpg

Mine does not have Temperatue and Oxygen sensors in this location that look anything like Wiznut's image. and I found a strange part coming off of the coil wiring that I cannot figure out. (see pic)
    part1.jpg

I can see the injector leads, but can barely touch them, much less disconnect them, and I am concerned that even if I pinch them right to get them off, I may not be able to get them back on.
    Here is a couple more shots if you see anything weird let me know...
    part3.jpg
    part2.jpg

I have yet to move on to the belt and tension wheel, etc. but though I should post what I have don so far.

Any advise or help would be great guys!

You will have to click on the images to see them better

Have you been to www.buellmods.com for s service manual? I'm pretty sure that should clear up some of your confusion.
    I believe the bike in the DIY post/write is an older model. 2007 or older Buells do not have an idle air control valve, the charging system wiring is a little different, the oiling system is different and the xb12 models have an exhaust valve actuator. Looks to me like your bike is a 2008 or newer Buell since your throttle body set up looks totally different than my 2007.
    Removing the fuel injector connectors is accomplished easier by going under the right side of the frame. It's still a bit fiddly and annoying but that's the only way I ever been able to get mine disconnected. You'll have to make sure the RSS or whatever you have their from the factory is out of the way.

Hope this is more helpful then the time my blind ass replied to your header pic!

Good luck

I got the fuel injector connectors off after I got a better flashlight...
    I will check out the service manual link... I have an owners manual, but it is pretty basic.
    Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah... its a 2009 XB9SX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast