Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just Purchased a XB12R

Not really sure, I have plenty of time to figure it out, for now Im going to install the D&D and tune the bike and ride it while I finish building the race bike. Still have many more projects to complete on the sportster build, ( install the GSXR front end, stretch the swing arm and all the **** involved with it, Get some lighter wheels, etc etc lol) So it could be some time before I break into the XB's motor. I really want to do a turbo build, and most likely will be the end result for the XB eventually.
    Also the buell is only really about 50 lbs lighter than my shaved down sporty, but I do agree on the short wheel base and squirlyness, its squirrely with the power it has, A GPR would go a long ways on this bike
    Last edited by XL90R; 08-30-2016 at 02:09 AM.

you can shave the XB waay down If you got the money, carbon jardine may save about 15lbs off stock but I didn't actually weigh it, lithium battery about another 10 over stock.. then all the co-rider stuff and various bull**** can shave off a bout 10.. then carbon, bla bla bla.. you can get it down there if you want to... magnesium wheels, maybe about 10, open primary, maybe 15-20... bunch off stuff can come off like I said, if you got the money... its always that last 20-25 lbs that cost the most as always.. ha

once the suspension is set just right for your weight it feels good, its only squirly if you pour a bunch on when you are leaned over. but it feels good, you get comfortable with it.. what always got me about this bike is the magnified feeling of speed once you pass about 110mph an onward.. feels like its moving a lot faster than it is and it feels like it piles up quick on you.. cheap thrills. that short wheelbase. Its a fun bike, probably my fav of all times... only bike I ever bought two of..
    Last edited by Gloomshadow; 08-30-2016 at 02:31 AM.

OH yes, its a blast to ride, I've really been enjoying it and find my self riding it everyday rather than my super bad ass sporty I just built haha, which is probably win win really lol.
    I would just like to see it accelerate a bit harder, Maybe even wheelie a bit under power, Its effortless to pull up wheelies on it, Im sure a good pipe and a descent tune will pick up some TQ. Not really worried about weight shaving, especially on this bike. Its set up pretty nice from factory really. The drag bike is gonna be the focus on weight reduction lol. Just need to wake the XB up a bit is all

race map is all about acceleration .. it wakes it up pretty nice. you could tune off that as a starting point .. you see a difference, its the bike it was meant to be once you got that in there you can tell.. I'm pretty sure the stock pipe and map was in there to meet sound restrictions v-twins have problems passing them so they had to neuter the bike a bit.. numbers don't really change but the rate of acceleration does.. this my 12.. my 9 is a blue SX. this one has changed a bit but its still pretty much looks like this. its a Lightningbolt

Last edited by Gloomshadow; 08-30-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomshadow View Post
    race map is all about acceleration .. it wakes it up pretty nice. you could tune off that as a starting point .. you see a difference, its the bike it was meant to be once you got that in there you can tell.. I'm pretty sure the stock pipe and map was in there to meet sound restrictions v-twins have problems passing them so they had to neuter the bike a bit.. numbers don't really change but the rate of acceleration does.. this my 12.. my 9 is a blue SX. this one has changed a bit but its still pretty much looks like this. its a Lightningbolt

OK so just a little update, Got the D&D installed, noticeable difference. Got everything set up on ECMSPY mono, and have started the tuning process. Going to spend sunday on the dyno getting it dialed in. Midrange picked up and some top end from the pipe, but I can feel it has some flat spots that for sure need attention, And the decel pop is driving me crazy- which Im tuning out currently without the dyno. Plan is to dial the whole map into 13.2 AFR and my cruise and idle at around 14.2. Depending on if I can shrink the Narrow band closed loop ranges with ecm spy, I may end up perfecting the tune on the dyno and then just turning off closed loop.

how is it going 90? liking it??

Gloomshadow - could I get some more info about the "gear oil thing" you alluded to earlier? Not something I'm familiar with yet.

na don't **** with it.. I live in florida and its hot as hell all the time.. I messed around with all different kinds of motor oil and primary oil to see what worked and felt the best for me and my bikes in the climate that I live in. This is what I learned, redline 20w-60HD in the motor felt the best in a hot climate. Best for the primary was Amsoil 20w-50 or Mobile1 V-twin 20w-50 synth ( I assume that redline 20w-50 would also be good) ... those two gave the best feel across the temperature ranges in the south of the usa. The gear oils I tried felt ok too but they eat up copper and will destroy your stator. only one on the list I have yet to try is redline "lightweight shock-proof", some guys would use shock-proof when they raced the XB and said good things about it.

I even tried Harley sae60 as recommended... it took a long time to warm up, felt slushy for about that first 20 min of riding.. shifts felt mushy
    Last edited by Gloomshadow; 09-10-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Appreciate the reply....good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by XL90R View Post
    OK so just a little update, Got the D&D installed, noticeable difference. Got everything set up on ECMSPY mono, and have started the tuning process. Going to spend sunday on the dyno getting it dialed in. Midrange picked up and some top end from the pipe, but I can feel it has some flat spots that for sure need attention, And the decel pop is driving me crazy- which Im tuning out currently without the dyno. Plan is to dial the whole map into 13.2 AFR and my cruise and idle at around 14.2. Depending on if I can shrink the Narrow band closed loop ranges with ecm spy, I may end up perfecting the tune on the dyno and then just turning off closed loop.
    How'd the tuning go? I have a K&N, and Jardine pipe and the decel pop is a little excessive. Tried the race map with ECM Droid but it barely ran so went back to stock for now. I'm in Lewisville btw, you ever ride on the north side of town?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast