Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Uly starts but wont run....help!

2008 Uly starts but wont run....help!

2008 Uly starts but wont stay running. If I pump the throttle I can keep it going for a half a minute with it sputtering and backfiring up through the intake manifold. I loaded a complete eeprom file that was supposed to be for my bike and it started acting up so I reloaded my old saved file but it acts the same. I think I must have screwed up one of the sensors? It smells like it is running rich and the timing must be off for to back fire up through the intake. I replaced the fuel injectors, the TPS sensor and the intake gaskets and did TPS reset. At this point I am just throwing parts at it hoping it will fix it. But I think it could be coming from the eeprom file? You can see it not running on the you tube video.https://youtu.be/AP9ICBTgbFs

https://youtu.be/AP9ICBTgbFs

Did it start acting this way immediately after downloading the file? What did you use to do it?

Did you do anything else at the same time?

Yes it did it immediately after downloading the file. I used EcmSpy. I did a TPS reset also. that's it. I think I might have fried one of the sensors or the ECU. Also I am not getting CEL or trouble codes.

Why would you think you 'fried' a sensor or the ECU????

Inactive
    you did NOT "fry a sensor" but you damaged your ecm. i do not know if it's permanent but every XB that has come into my shop with an inadvertent ecm screw-up or procedurally incorrect tps reset acted precisely like the XB in your vid. if i were you i'd reach out for cole (azmidget) on this board who really has a handle on these ecm scenarios and is an expert in their inner-workings. i am not. tell him precisely what you did....what the cause and effect now is...and his suggestions.

Could you send me both your original, and the new EEPROM files you tried installing? colewhouser@gmail.com I can check to see if they are compatible with each other. Using a map "for an 08" can be very misleading, there were many different firmwares that year.

08 and newer bikes generally need to use the new ECMSpy Mono or TunerPro RT or ECMDroid.

There is a slight chance that you have the one 08 firmware that is compatible with the free ECMSpy (BUEOD), but it is a slight chance.
    PM me for Bluetooth info!
    Facebook.com/BuellBluetooth

Thanks for all the replies.

I believe I did something to cause the timing to be off for it to be backfiring up through the intake, I could have damaged a sensor or the ecm. I am going to send the files to AZmidget91 to see if they are compatible. Maybe its just a bad file? Thanks AZmidget91!

I would take AzMidgets very generous offer seriously. He knows what he's doing. If you were somehow able to load a map for a different firmware version on you ECU, there can be serious consequences. Different firmware versions actually hold the memory for the tune in different places, I'm surprised that it runs at all.

Will ECMSpy even do that? There's no safety check for identical firmware like on ECMDroid?

The old ECMSpy doesn't have any checks, neither does TunerPro. ECMDroid, and I believe the new ECMSpy Mono are the only ones with the safety checks.

As long as you don't burn an EEPROM with more pages than the EEPROM you have, you can just burn the original one back. None of these tuning softwares read all the pages in the EEPROM, so if you burn one that has more pages than the one you have, you will overwrite a page that shouldn't ever be messed with. Hint...that's how you change firmwares....

Yup. ECMspy will do that.
    The user guide even warns you of such tom foolery. I'm not sure of the exact working but it states that if you're not an expert a tuning to stay away from the eeprom. Modifying the fuel maps is a much safer way to get your feet wet in the Buell tuning world.
    If you changed the eeprom, chances are your fuel map and timing tables have been altered also.
    And as AZ said, the old school ECMspy is not the software to use on an 08 or newer bike.

Any new Buellers reading this thread take one thing from it; ECMdroid is your tool of choice if you're going to "experiment" with fuel maps. ECMdroid WILL NOT ALLOW you to load the wrong map/eeprom.

Wile E Coyote I'm not trying to flame you. Your situation truly sucks. I'm just hoping your post, and the information in it, will help others not make the same mistake.

I'm sure AZ will get you straight. He has "connections".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast