Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 XB12 wheel bearing video

Yo........ I was thinking all kinds of bad things while watching your video.
    You know with out me typing it...
    But before you but a bearing in, mic and check to see if the bore is still round and not egg shape. Also did the spacer chew up the brake side lip of the rim also how's your axle looking?
    If you did not make it egg shape after you put the bearings in check the run off.
    I have a feeling your going to need a new rim.

And I know this is after the fact but if you have a bearing race stuck in a rim again you don't need a puller. You need to weld a bolt across the race. Then use bar stock and pound it out from the other side.

Thanks squidbuellie for the pointers. I checked and it's not 100% true...the diameter varies from 54.65mm to 54.80mm. The new bearing is 55mm. I searched and could not find tolerances for the register itself...but 200-350μm doesn't seem like it should throw any flags for me (I suppose the ambulance will be the final judge). The spacer didn't do any damage to the brake side...just the pulley side. Axle looks good, and will check the run out once both bearings are in place.

I read some threads about welding a "handle" to the bearing. Didn't read much in the way of success, but what a great excuse to buy a TIG, eh?

If you have money like that, just buy new rims and bearings and have someone else install them!

But seriously; a few tips.... Stick the bearings in the freezer over night before you install them and they should slide in pretty easy.
    If you don't have a press, use a heavy piece of all thread with two nuts, a couple big washers and one of the old bearings to press the new ones in.
    I used this redneck press for stearing stem/neck bearings and wheel bearings. Works like a charm.

Thanks Chicknstripn! I put the bearings in the freezer, used a torch on the wheels, and they slid in with very little effort. I rigged up a redneck press as you recommended with a length of 3/4" threaded rod, washers, nuts, and the old bearings. It cost me about 12 bucks at home depot. A little side to side movement was frustrating (I should have rigged up a bushing to keep everything inline). All in all, much better than whacking away with a hammer and drift like youtube suggests.

It was dark and spooky when I finished, so will give it a test ride this week. You guys are the best!

Hey no problem man.
    That's what this place is all about!
    Glad it all worked as well for you as it has for me.

Great job getting it all taken care of without needing some jerks at a shop charging you $70 an hour!

Are those measurements the same for an xb9r? I have a rear spacer that needs replacing. Just want to make sure. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12