Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "FNG" XB12 owner w/?'s

I now NRHS is in Colorado. Just not sure exactly where.
    Sounds like you have a heat related issue.
    If you're sure the O2 is good and you're positive the CPS is working correctly then I'd start trouble shooting the head temp sensor.
    However, before running out and buying any parts run a diagnostic with ECMspy, or droid, to see if you have any stored codes from your last ride.
    Good luck

^^^^^check for stored codes. When I installed new led headlights I removed the front fairing and unplugged the BAS. I plugged it back in and bolted everything back together. I went for a ride and it stalled between 5-6k. Went back to the shop and ran diagnostics on ECMspy. Code 44 BAS was stored. I unplugged the BAS and plugged it back in. Next ride, no problem.

That's great I'm happy for you as I've been watching this post, however for those mere mortals, what is a BAS ?

Thanks

Bank angle sensor.
    S models it's found under the seat
    R models on the headlight bracket under the front fairing.

Yeah, since I got CE light two or 3 times last ride, I'm hoping I got some stored codes. Hopefully I can check it with ECM spy today. My sched is pretty tight this week but I'll check codes & test those intake seals.
    Snow in the forecast again, that'll give me time to wrench.
    Funny thing...ya build up an insane tool collection wrenching on foreign cars & bikes. Along comes a domestic vehicle and ya got nothing! Lol...I've spent as much on new tools as I have parts so far, heh heh.

Chickn,
    Hmmm...hadn't thought of that. It'd make sense given the worst of it happened after 10 miles or so. But then again, it ran fine a for a bit after the restart and I never really even stopped rolling.
    I'll do some reading into that temp issue. So far my "warm" days here, and the day I test rode, are sunny and in the 40's. I'm sure that motor could get hot just about at any outside temp, tho, eh? It's never hot where I live. Usually in the 70's all summer.

Thnx again!
    Found NRHS. It's in Berthoud, between Denver & Ft Collins. Nice to know they're there in case I can't figure this out!
    Actually it's on the way to Rocky Mountain Westy, where I get custom stuff for my VW Westfalia.

Trying again-
    2004 Buell XB12S, 9,000 miles. Runs, but hard to get idling, stutters around 2-3k rpm, periodically shuts off completely, and I have to turn off ignition and restart

I had mothballed the XB for a while after not figuring out what was “off” with the bike.
    These gremlins had me frustrated, to say the least. Well....I decided to pull er outta storage and try to fix the stumbling/misfire/CE light/etc etc issue’s again.
    Recap: I’ve replaced the O2 sensor, Reset the tps, done breather mod, new plugs, checked the timing, checked that common burned elec plug (forget the name, by the belt)
    And now I’m on to next....
    I ran ECM spy and here’s my codes:

Trouble codes:
    Current
    Trouble code 21- Active muffler control
    Trouble code 21- Active muffler control

Historic
    Byte1: 08
    Bit 3: trouble code 13, 02 sensor always lean
    ——-
    Byte2: 14
    Bit 2: trouble code 23, front injector short to ground or open
    Bit 4: trouble code 23, battery voltage too low
    ———
    Byte3: 10
    Bit 4: trouble code 32, rear injector short to ground or open
    ———
    Byte 4: 08
    Bit 3: trouble code 53, ecm rom failure
    ———
    Byte 5: 06
    Bit 1: trouble code 21, active muffler control
    Bit 2: trouble code 21, active muffler control

I turned off the muffler control thru ecmspy and ordered a new battery and intake seals. Gonna clean all my grounds (no front triple tree ground? Only found two by the battery?)
    I’m wondering if I should order a tested ecm from a steele’s Cycles on eBay. Considering it. I have a feeling the P.O. tried to “fix” the mapping? I suppose I could pull up the mapping on ecmspy & compared it to a stock mapping chart, to see.
    I also think maybe the gas, at this point, is getting old....can it be drained?

Aaaannnd....the Earthing post I just read right below this was SUPER informative. Cleaning ALL grounds properly sounds like a MUST DO next

Having had to chase grounding issues myself - looking at your list that was the first thing that jumped to mind (i.e. do a thorough cleaning and re-install/re-tightening of all grounding points and wires).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast