Thread: 05 XB12R spits and sputters

05 XB12R spits and sputters

I bought this bike with 10k about 2 months ago and ever since I had it between idle and 4200 RPM I have to slowly role into throttle or bike spits and sputters like it is too rich. Previous owner had a Dean Adam's exhaust installed on it and had a Xopti tune put in it. I saw they tried to lean it out a bit but it didn't help. I don't have a shop around that will look at it and ships that I find a kinda timid about it. I would like a dyno run but can't find anyone that sounds confident about working on it. I have thought about removing the exhaust and uploading stock tune to see if that fixes it. Any suggestions would help greatly!!

Inactive
    well let's see now: bike has been modded....ecm mapping modded....exhaust modded.....you "saw" that the mapping is modded. long story short you have absolutely no base-line to determine what the potential problem might be. i can assure you that your XB "spat and sputtered" long before you bought it 2 months ago and may very well be the reason the PO sold it. establish some sort of base-line. from that you'll quickly determine if the motor is sound internally or not....if an electrical problem exists....if a component problem exists...if a grounding problem exists.
    a base-line in your case is: a known good ecm with a tune specific to your exhaust system and air filter; fresh set of NGK DCPR9EIX spark plugs; fresh set of plug wires; every single ground is removed, cleaned, reinstalled including both battery cables to terminals; and lastly confirm that every single item from the air-box base plate to the wiring underneath same and the TB intake horn is intact and installed correctly and no unplugged sensors such as the IAT sensor. lastly and most importantly, any and all ECM fault codes causing ECM to illuminate MUST be cleared.
    if the above beyond your skill level seek out someone who can perform these simple tasks, tell them what you need, and go from there. you may very likely have something as simple as an unplugged IAT sensor...a TPS sensor that needs reset....or a lazy O2 sensor. you can't ascertain any of that until you follow my recommended steps above.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-26-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I believe most is correct, I installed new battery plugs. I need to do a TP reset. This bike halls *** after 4300 RPM, so I believe the engine and grounds are ok but I will still go through this list u provided. I tried to install the stock ecm map but for some reason my computer tell me I need administration rights of some kind. Any reason why?

Inactive
    I tried to install the stock ecm map but for some reason my computer tell me I need administration rights of some kind. Any reason why?
    no idea. ecm inner-workings not in my wheelhouse. but the ecm gurus on here will know. try azmidget, chicknstripn, dean,submax....to name just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by river_rat17 View Post
    I tried to install the stock ecm map but for some reason my computer tell me I need administration rights of some kind. Any reason why?
    Shot in the dark but try to open the program like this and try again. Right-click and pick the "run as administrator" option, I've had to do this with some software in the past.