Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR Black Lightning

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by qurtrn10 View Post
    It's here waiting for you! I got to sit on it, and I really like the lowered suspension.
    Does it feel like Buell XB12Scg?

It's a real beauty, like 248 says it's low, I didn't bother sitting on it because I have injuries that would've prevented me from getting a real feel for it. EB is real proud of the engine and it's ability to run very clean, Looks like a real nice handling bike ! Correct me if I'm wrong but, it looks like it might be hard to protect in the case of a slide on either side.

Oopsy !

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Does it feel like Buell XB12Scg?
    It does. I had a '03 xb9sl and you definitely sit lower "in" the bike on the Black Lightning. I don't think it's different enough for me to have both my Laguna Blue SX and a Black Lightning, but I have considered it...

The XB9 I used to have started life as an XB9SL. Although I'm sure the height would be great on my normal commute to work, I swapped it out for the normal suspension because I just couldn't get used to a bike that low. The low suspension was so rough. There's a slightly bumpy part of highway going out of downtown that I never really noticed in a car or on most motorcycles, but it was just horrible on the low suspension. The ride was SO much nicer when I moved to the regular suspension that I'd be hesitant to try it again, as nice as it would be to flatfoot the bike in traffic. The three different seat heights was really nice though. I bought all 3 seats and it was a 5 second swap between a low seat for traffic, a medium normal riding seat, and the tall wheelie/fun seat.

I do really like the idea of offering the bike with lower gearing. I've always dropped the gearing a few teeth on bikes I've owned and it really makes life a bit nicer and more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaiden View Post
    The XB9 I used to have started life as an XB9SL. Although I'm sure the height would be great on my normal commute to work, I swapped it out for the normal suspension because I just couldn't get used to a bike that low. The low suspension was so rough. There's a slightly bumpy part of highway going out of downtown that I never really noticed in a car or on most motorcycles, but it was just horrible on the low suspension. The ride was SO much nicer when I moved to the regular suspension that I'd be hesitant to try it again, as nice as it would be to flatfoot the bike in traffic.
    I test rode an XB12Scg when Buell still had the demo truck, and I kind of had the same impression. The ride was noticeably harsher than an XB12S.

That said, I demo'ed an 1190SX a couple of years ago and its a surprisingly tall bike. The seat height was higher than my XB12X (which I've since converted to XB12XT suspension). I'm sure I'd like the seat height of the Black Lightning better, but I am a little concerned about losing 2 inches of suspension travel, especially since I'm used to the relatively long-travel suspension of a Uly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    I'm sure I'd like the seat height of the Black Lightning better, but I am a little concerned about losing 2 inches of suspension travel, especially since I'm used to the relatively long-travel suspension of a Uly.
    I used to have a yz426 supermoto, and I'll never get joy out of a regular suspension again.... long travel suspension is amazing. I had always ridden sportbikes before that and my rides involved seeking out the smoothest roads possible. Once I got the YZ I use to have the most fun on gravel covered and pothole filled roads. You can guess which is easier to find...

Now that I primarily use my bike for commuting, I find myself thinking that something with a lower seat would be nice just purely for comfort while I'm sitting in traffic and at redlights, so it's unlikely that I'll ever find a perfect combination of seat height and suspension travel.

^^^ this is why everyone needs more than one bike.

Quote Originally Posted by BambamXB12r View Post
    ^^^ this is why everyone needs more than one bike.
    No kidding. I figure I'll keep my Uly indefinitely. And whatever EBR I wind up with can be modified as required just like people have done for years with tubers and XB's if I find the seat height and/or suspension isn't to my liking.

Unless I'm missing something, that front oil cooler on the BL looks to me, to be too low for the pot holes one would encounter in NY and NJ, not to mention the debris it would pick up, can anyone explain this engineering decision ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast