Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR Black Lightning

Banned
    Front wheel generates wind to blow it on the cooler. Also locating the cooler closer to the ground lets use wind gradient, so you can ride downwind at wind speed and the cooler will always be in the slow wind gradient zone close to the ground so it will be aways moving trough the air and cooling, even downwind direction.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-21-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Front wheel generates wind to blow it on the cooler. Also locating the cooler closer to the ground lets use wind gradient, so you can ride downwind at wind speed and the cooler will always be in the slow wind gradient zone close to the ground so it will be aways moving trough the air and cooling, even downwind direction.
    i don't know where in Gods' name you come up with this stuff but a rotating motorcycle wheel assembly does NOT generate any "wind" of appreciable measurement. if the tire had blades or paddles on its tread then......you get the picture. and how do i know this to be true? put a cycle.....any cycle.....any tire size or tread pattern in existence.....on a dyno, lash it down, and spool it up to speed. even with the rear wheel rotating at speeds in excess of over 100mph real road speed you can walk behind the bike...put your hand close to the rear of the tire...and it is virtually "dead-air" space directly behind it....no wind generated. what sometimes reads nicely in a tech journal or online jibberish site doesn't typically transfer to real-world facts.

As above statement is also verified by watching people doing burnouts and the tire smoke seems to just hang there !

I should have clarified my statement/question, I'm more worried about the pot holes crushing the oil cooler and possibly getting destroyed by debris coming off the tire, possibly caused by the wind, just kidding !

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    As above statement is also verified by watching people doing burnouts and the tire smoke seems to just hang there !

I should have clarified my statement/question, I'm more worried about the pot holes crushing the oil cooler and possibly getting destroyed by debris coming off the tire, possibly caused by the wind, just kidding !
    I've been wondering about the vulnerability of that cooler as well, but I've noticed HD used the same basic location on touring (electra glide, road king, etc.) Bikes that, for some, put on a ton of miles and have never heard a debris damaged the oil cooler complaint. So maybe they're tougher than we think?

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    If you check out the specs, all 3 models have the same ground clearance...4.7"

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/1190blacklightning
    Yea, I noticed that's what it says, but I think somebody just got lazy and cut and pasted specs. They dropped the whole bike 2 inches.

That would have to be a serious pothole for your front tire to sink so far that the oil cooler would drag on the ground on it's way into it. You're best just to swerve around those. The only time I really picture it being some kind of issue is if you try to ride off of a sidewalk or go over a median where the front wheel drops down a few inches. That would be tough on any street bike though.

Quote Originally Posted by BambamXB12r View Post
    ^^^ this is why everyone needs more than one bike.
    Tell me about it. Always nice to have at least two bikes. I really want to rip my S1 apart and give it a full makeover, but that's gotta wait until I've got something else to ride. I'd be happy with my S1 for fun and an Indian Scout for commuting, but between just finishing remodeling the kitchen, having two car payments, and a new baby(IVF: $$$), it'll be a single bike garage for a few years from now.

Banned
    Here is how EBR Black Lightning should look like

Banned
    It looks like sit height on Black Lightning is still higher than on Buell XB12Scg. 774 mm vs 726 mm. 48 mm difference. Pretty big difference.

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/1190blacklightning
    https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bu...12scg_2009.php

I had a xb9sl (earlier version of the xb12scg) and I've sat on the Black Lightning - they feel the same. I could flat foot both of them, whereas a regular height xb had me on the balls of my feet, and a regular 1190RX/SX I'm close to flat footing but can't completely. The difference in the seat height was offset by the EBR being much narrower.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast