Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch back to 180/55 rear tire

Switch back to 180/55 rear tire

Anybody notice a difference in handling between a 180/55, which I think is the stock size, and say a 190/50 tire? I really like the 190/50 tire, but will switch back to stock if the handling improves.

I run a 190 on my CR track bike for a little more top end at the track I'm on. I like it a lot! Every manufacturer has a slightly different profile, so don't be scared of the 'it's not stock, so you'll KILL yourself' posts that are sure to come. The difference isn't that big.

I'm running on the opposite end of the scale. I have a 170 on the back (mainly due to selection of dual sport tyres over here). No problems. Can't see that a 190 can make that much difference.

you'll KILL yourself'
    I am sure of it!

not really. if im figuring my tire sizes right its a difference of 10mm width and 4mm height (since the 55 and 50 are actually the percent of the width that the height measures) i can go through 4mm of height in my driveway! someone please flame the hell out of me if im wrong.....

yep just googled it to refresh my memory goodyear says:
    Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.

or heres a nice tutorial from denniskirk https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/tire-sizes-explained
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 11-30-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: googled it!

Thanks for the info BB and the Link above, good info. I have mounted a 180/55 on a spare rim, it is a Michelin RP4 Standard with 2K miles on it. So I am thinking narrower tire might turn in quicker. Wally with a 170 width rear do you notice any difference on a turn in? Never thought to put dual sport tires on my Ulysses or Tiger, both call for the same sizes of 180/55 & 120/70. Wally are you running a 170/60? or something similiar?

No real difference, though the handling of the dual sport types are slightly different to road ones. The Karoo 3 handled like a road tyre.

The Heidenau gives great mileage. Hence the choice. I ride the K60 170/60 B 17.

Our tyre choice is limited over here, unless you ride a KTM or BMW...
    The new liquid cooled GS1200's run on a 170 rear.

Front tyre choice are even worse, due to the 17" front rim.

Plus, we take our Ulys off-road - and ride them.

20160902_182946.jpg
    Does this count wally? Grass isn't a road lol. I really hope you show the BMW boys what's up! Merica.

Thanks Wally, Will try the stock for now, and contemplate a 170/60 in the future. For now I am having fun on the road, thanks again.

I'm thinking of going with a Heidanau rear tire and front or possibly and TKC80 on the front, I'm hearing good things about these combos for road and off road. I've also heard and it makes sense that it's mostly the 17" front tire that limits the ullys's off road performance but, it certainly helps with on road handling.

Hey Wally, maybe a silly question but what do you do if a wild animal is after you and your ully ?
    Last edited by njloco; 12-01-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Ride faster.

And don't fall off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast