Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backfire and Dies

Backfire and Dies

Hello fellow Blast owners. I have a problem and its killing me. Just bought my first bike back in October of this year. Ran fine with no issues until I was leaving work one night. Bike started fine when I was moving it to the front of my store. Turned it off and was chatting with fellow workers. When we got done and where heading home I started the bike back up and went to leave. Once I gave it gas it died. Figuring it was no big deal cause I'm a new rider I went to start it again and the same thing happened. And this is where I'm stuck at. The bike starts with no problem but when I give it gas it sputters and dies. There are a few issues I think I messed up. First when it died at my store I thought I ran of gas so I places gas in it that we use for our high pressure cleaner..it may have been bad or water in it. Also I replaced the spark plug but I think I messed the gap up also...not sure on that one as it starts just fine. I also have already installed a Dan Boot just to knock that out of the way. I wanna drain the gas tank and anything else and start with fresh gas but I have no clue where to start on that. If anybody has things for me to try that would be awesome. I know my way around but no professional.

This is update as I have been working on it off and on today. Didn't think about this before but it will no longer start with the kickstand down and in neutral. Tryed doing the bypass of the clutch by switch the fuse around but only thing I got then was clicking sound. May replace the ignation mod and get the crabs cleaned..after I clean the gas tank out and seafome it.

Hmm. Sea foam. 😒. Hmm.

Yeah I'm try sea foam after I take the tank of and drain it.

UPDATE!!!!!!! Removed gas tank....emptied...installed. While tank was off made sure boot was on good..and it looks that way. Spark plug looks good also. Fresh gas and some seafoam and it started right up...no problem. A little gas and a small pop later and it was back to normal. Test drove around neighborhood just fine. Next day after work...testing again...back to the same issues....could it be that its cold?

There's only one carb. "Cleaning it" should consist of removing the fuel bowl and the slide cap, then spray every orifice out with a can of carb cleaner, then reassemble. DO NOT REMOVE THE JETS OR EMULSION TUBE!

Sounds like you have a bad sidestand safety switch. Cut the wires and twist them together.

Well I did the sidestand safety switch thing. Cut the 2 wires and spliced them together...still nothing. But also the battery is getting to low to even turn the engine over. Now this has happened alot ever since I started having issues with the Blast. If I had to guess I would say I had to remove the battery at least 5-6 times to charge the battery. This to me doesn't sound right.

Inactive
    If I had to guess I would say I had to remove the battery at least 5-6 times to charge the battery. This to me doesn't sound right.

i know nothing about blasts....have never owned one....never will own one. but i know buells and your statement right there narrowed the problem to voltage. you need to do the below steps because without performing same all else is a moot point. your symptoms are purely low voltage....the battery runs the bike for a bit....voltage loss....won't run.....rejuventated battery....runs a bit....on and on.
    1-remove battery, fully charge with a REAL charger and not a tender, then have it load tested locally. do this to rule out battery as the culprit.
    2-install either a new battery or your known good fully-charged existing battery and start. now test your charging system for proper voltage output at the battery. i've posted on here a bazillion times how to do it. simple multi-meter is all that's needed. your problem lies either with your battery, your terminal connections, or your charging system. report back please.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    If I had to guess I would say I had to remove the battery at least 5-6 times to charge the battery. This to me doesn't sound right.

i know nothing about blasts....have never owned one....never will own one. but i know buells and your statement right there narrowed the problem to voltage. you need to do the below steps because without performing same all else is a moot point. your symptoms are purely low voltage....the battery runs the bike for a bit....voltage loss....won't run.....rejuventated battery....runs a bit....on and on.
    1-remove battery, fully charge with a REAL charger and not a tender, then have it load tested locally. do this to rule out battery as the culprit.
    2-install either a new battery or your known good fully-charged existing battery and start. now test your charging system for proper voltage output at the battery. i've posted on here a bazillion times how to do it. simple multi-meter is all that's needed. your problem lies either with your battery, your terminal connections, or your charging system. report back please.
    gr8 advice as usual!! the blast i bought from an insurance auction would do exactly as you described with the battery it had in it wheni got it. I charged it up enough to fire it up, let it idle, hit the throttle and it died...... did that a couple times, tested the battery and it was junk. Not saying thats for sure your problem, but very likely!

Saying I don't even own a tender for my battery and I use a Stanley Charger..( not sure if that is a good thing.) I've had the battery on the charger for awhile now..something like 12 hours or so. I will put it back in shortly and retest. Like i said before..the Blast was running fine one sec and the next not. It didn't stop while running just would not start back up. Since these issue it started and ran fine one time. Actually ran better than normal..then the next day back to the same ****. New boot..Super Boot....new plug...Ir Plug...NKG. New Gas..with some Foam. Carb has been sprayed but not that great.

Last edited by ratmaz313; 12-19-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast