Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uly Won't start

Uly Won't start

So I'm getting ready to do some work on the bike and it won't start. I turn the key to on, hit the run button, fuel pump comes on, engine light goes out and I hit the ignition, nothing. The Starter relay clicks and that's as far as it goes. I tried bump starting it and it fired right up. So somewhere between the relay and the starter, there's an issue. It's a mess of wires between those two spots so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Figured it out. The fuse for the lights was blown. Weird that this would cause it not to start.

Yes it is a 10 fuse for the lights and starter , I was working on my lights and pop the same one , wont start with out it. It will run but wont start with out that fuse. Glad I had a spare on board.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydogg888 View Post
    Figured it out. The fuse for the lights was blown. Weird that this would cause it not to start.
    think of it in these terms: the little "start button" must receive and send a small amount of current to energize the relay which energizes the solenoid which activates the starter motor. the little "start button" receives the current from the main lighting circuit.

John, I love when you make it simple so my little brain can really understand it !

Do you think this was designed this way, so one must ride with the lights on ?
    Last edited by njloco; 01-09-2017 at 01:30 PM.

only one problem with this if your fuse pops while you are on a ride when you turn off your bike it is not going to start , If you are on top of a hill ok ,bump start or spare fuse in my case

Makes sense, I didn't even think to check the fuse. For some reason I thought the relay was acting as the only go between. Learned my lesson will go get a spare fuse now.

If possible find out why the fuse blew in the first place, There should be 2 slots for spares in your fuse box

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    John, I love when you make it simple so my little brain can really understand it !

Do you think this was designed this way, so one must ride with the lights on ?
    hard to say kenny but given the location of the "push to start" switch and the lighting components and switchgear at the front of the bike i would say the electrical wizards chose the same circuit due to proximity. buells like sportsters and most every jap bike have very common shared handlebar switchgear and most share the start button circuitry with the lighting circuitry. IMPORTANT: i've been harping on this for years with all bikes particularly buells: get yourself a nice small sealable plastic bag and put 6 assorted blade fuses in it, 1 new relay, and 1 dollar store tweezer for removing the fuses. place it in either your factory tool kit or tape it to the front of the battery below or above the strap.....easily accessible. when the charging system goes dead on a ride...or the headlights fail...or anything else fuse/relay related....you'll be glad you did this. but then again this might be yet another of those "shut the **** up john! you told us this 45X now."

IMG_4610.JPG
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast