Thread: 2008 xb12r Stalls on cold start up till warmed up. HELP PLEASE

2008 xb12r Stalls on cold start up till warmed up. HELP PLEASE

Hi fellow Buellers.
    My 2008 xb12r has been having difficulties starting when engine is cold. It takes 3 to 5 attempts before it fires up. It then idles for a few seconds then dies. I have to repeat this process 4 or 5 times before i can keep it running. Once the engine is warm it idles fine and runs like a champ. Cleaned and replaced the Idle air control servo but did not help. I have a K&N air filter, Jardine exhaust and have done the breather re-route. Also have been using buelltooth and ecm droid to move maps in and out. New plugs also. This only happens on a cold motor. If the bike is warm it fires right up and idles fine. Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction? Thanks, your help would be appreciated!

You are not alone on this issue. My 05 xb9sx does this as well. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that a possible fix was new plugs, but if you seem to have ruled that out.

Since you have ECMDroid, use it to check the sensor inputs (like the temp sensor). Could also be an open-loop problem but you have the tools to check that too, since you are swapping maps already.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    You are not alone on this issue. My 05 xb9sx does this as well. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that a possible fix was new plugs, but if you seem to have ruled that out.
    your fix will NOT be related in any way to what frankxb is seeking. he's experimenting with ecm mapping plus his 2008 model has an electronic idle control unit where your 2005 model is manually adjustable. here is what typically normalizes your cold start issues and i'll note that it is critically important that you adjust your idle on a warm motor to approx. 1000-1050 rpm. less than that and the vibes are hard on the elastometric engine mounts....higher than that typically results in a "hanging throttle" when closing same.
    1- if you think you might need new spark plugs then you probably do. NGK DCPR9EIX the most popular choice. not that pricey and work great...improved start up and throttle response typical results with these plugs.
    2-reset your TPS. simple process with any available ecm diagnostics tool. tps value should be 5.1-5.5......i prefer 5.1.
    3-after step #2 above get some good heat in the motor by riding the bike then readjust warm idle manually to what i mentioned in opening statement.
    this will resolve your cold start/cold idle issues if performed correctly.