Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torque limiting drain plug

Ok, so in closing.... a few thoughts. I'm sure these are obvious to some, but I'll just put them out there anyways.

The taps, drill, counterbore and installer are different sizes. Luckily my t-handle was able to (barely) pull it off. Make sure your drill and t-handle fit the different tools.

Make sure the swingarm is level. Use a stand, or jack the bike up. Don't try this on the sidestand.

Coat the drill and tap with grease to help catch the chips. Don't use a heavy grease and don't pack the drill bit and taps full of grease. Leave some room for the chips to collect without being "squeezed out" and left in the swingarm during removal. I was more paranoid about this than anything!

Since I found this after I drained the oil. I used the old oil to flush and remaining chips out. I also sprayed carb cleaner into the oil fill hole to help flush out the old oil before I installed the insert. I also shoved a rag into the drain hole with a small screwdriver to help clean out any old oil. I left the carb cleaner completely dry and did one last pass over the threads with foam q-tips to make sure the threads we're completely clean of oil.

I lightly oiled the installer and carefully installed the insert. A blast of carb cleaner, a clean rag wipe off and a generous coating of red loctite was applied and she threaded right up and seated like a champ.

Tomorrow, I will pour the rest of the old oil in the swingarm and let it drain back out to pick up and left over residue. Then refill with 2.5 qts of oil and done!

Speaking of oil, what's the best oil for my bike? (KIDDING!!!!)
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-21-2017 at 01:07 AM.

One of those little rare earth magnets on a telescoping handle works really well too, but it sounds like you have it well figured out

Now... What year Metro?

A magnet that attracts aluminum... ...I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    One of those little rare earth magnets on a telescoping handle works really well too, but it sounds like you have it well figured out

Now... What year Metro?
    That's not 4WD is it? A friend of mine had a Metro years ago. It was a great car and got like 52mpg. 3 cyl. engine built by Suzuki, if I remember correctly. Wait a minute.........is that a Metro body on a Samurai chassis???? I see the locking hubs on the front. Interesting.
    Last edited by lancruza; 01-21-2017 at 02:39 PM.

I was also thinking it was a metro on a samurai body.
    Whatever it is... ...I'd drive it!
    Cooter- where'd you find that pic? Backwoods of West Virginia?

The technical term for those fence post cheaters is "torque amplifier". One of my breaker bars is a broken bar because of on of those...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123