Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me 2006 XB12s, minor cleanup and adjustments, some input could help

New to me 2006 XB12s, minor cleanup and adjustments, some input could help

I bought this XB12s and overall it is in excellent mechanical condition. Compression and leakdown #s are good, the fluids were all clean and pretty fresh, and it runs/rides fantastic. I found a few things that look like aftermarket "upgrades" and I am hoping I can save some time identifying them by putting them in front of those with more experience with this bike. We had two warm days back to back so I adjusted the suspension and controls for myself and put a few hundred miles on it and without a doubt it is exactly what I was looking for and should have bought one long ago.

bike.jpg

My TO DO list so far
    Replace goofy micro mirror with stock ones so I can see behind better
    Install new seat leather
    LED headlights
    New plugs
    Fluid change, did the brake fluid already, waiting on the rest of the fluids/filter to get delivered
    Turn off variable exhaust with ECMspy and get rid of that module (bike has a drummer exhaust)

The alterations from stock that I am hoping someone here can identify are:

Two huge 50 watt resistors with very small wires leading from them into the harness, they are laying loose and do not look at all stock.
    resist.jpg

This small air filter hanging off a hose, I have not had time to trace it yet, but I am sure it is a common "fix" or side effect of some mod. The bike has a K&N filter but otherwise the air intake box looks stock.
    filter.jpg

Lastly, regarding ECMspy, I do not have any window's machines, everything is linux, has anyone tried ECMspy under WINE windows emulator? Some programs have library and security issues, they don't mention it in their FAQs and don't have any support/contact info on their website that I saw.

Welcome aboard and nice machine. Resistors look like something for LED or HID headlights. Small filter is probably a crankcase breather mod. If I'm wrong im sure the veterans know what those items are. Enjoy your new machine and wear your gear.

Watt are the resisters for ??? How many miles? What was the compression front & rear ?

The headlights are the stock ones. The turn signals are LED aftermarket.

Looks like you have an SS (Long).

The gold resistor looking things are most likely "load stabilizers" for the LED turn signals. Without them the turn signals will "hyper blink"

Like the other poster mentioned..The little filter looks like a breather bypass. I'd leave it and clean it from time to time.

My computer is a Linux box also. Actually Lumbuntu. But I was able to get it (ECMDroid)to run on my old Android cell phone. I had thought about running in on WINE, but my situation made it easier to just hack my old phone than mess with WINE and it's fussiness. Plus if you can get your hands on a old Android that will run 4.2.1 or above, you can turn on datalogging and go for a ride.

If you can run ITunes under WINE successfully, let me know. The reality is that I probably just need to dump my old Asus Netbook and get a nice tablet.

Reach out to AZMidget to buy one of his Bluetooth dongles. He's a great guy and a wealth of information.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-29-2017 at 06:32 PM.

+1 on the dongle

So far the crew is spot on about the resistors and the breather mod. If the bike is running funky, I'd perform a TPS reset before messing with the maps. If the bike is running fine, then don't fix what isn't broken!
    Start google searching for ECMspy. You can run it on a windows 7 based laptop all day long no issues. There are still some free downloads out there and the user guide is extremely informative.
    Also do some searching on how to build your own cable or dongle. If you're electrically savy you can build your own. Or go on Amazon or Evilbay and find the cable for around $30. I got mine off Amazon about 9yra ago and it can with an ECMspy disc.
    Good luck

I found a thread on the breather mod and the history on that, and plan to move the filter to a less obvious location.

And I confirmed the suggestion that the resistors are preventing the rapid blink with LEDs, seems sloppy and inefficient so I'll look for an LED compatible blinker so I can eliminate those. I'll just try ECMspy under the windows emulator and see what happens.

Look up the no dough flasher relay mod. Probably not exactly what it's called but there's a mod that involves removing one of the "legs" or posts on the flasher relay. It eliminates the need for the resistors. Or you could just buy an LED flasher relay. I believe either option is cheaper than buying new blinkers.

Here's the flasher mod link. I did this on my CityX. Worked great.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...ED-flasher-mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast