Thread: New Product Group Buy: LED Tail Lights Made By Loki!

New Product Group Buy: LED Tail Lights Made By Loki!

Hey everyone both new and old,

It's been a long and rough time for me since I've been on but I'm hoping to be back more. I won't go into lengthy details of my absence but it can be seen as a blessing for everyone. In my absence I have been continuing my education and experience with electrical engineering. I wanted to create something that I could show potential employers so they can see that I have the skills and drive to create products from idea to finish. Thus, I have created a new LED tail light option for the Buell community!

We have a lot of great options for LED tail lights from the affordable Clear Alternatives to the amazingly high quality XB Lights from Rob. However, the CA option can fall short of some peoples desire for high brightness and Rob's XB lights may be priced higher than some can afford. That is where my product comes in. I am offering a great selection of lighting styles and options to fit just about everyone's budget. I also offer the ability for the community to get behind their own chosen styles/designs of the lights!

So without further ado, let me introduce everyone to our new tail light options!

Let me start with some basic specs that all lights will have-
    High brightness 5730 LEDS; Red= 1000-1500mcd/25-35LM Each, Yellow= 1000-1500mcd/25-35LM Each, White= 50-55LM

Over voltage protection- Each board and lighting section has its own voltage controller that prevents worry from system over voltages should they ever occur for peace of mind in your investment.

Water resistance coating- To ensure your light will be protected from the elements I coat each light with a clear conformal urethane coating. (picture shows light working in water below)

A 3 year Warranty- I want you to know that this isn't a one time deal. I will stand behind my design 100% should a manufacture issue arise. I offer a 100% refund within the 1st year and a 50% refund or exchange after. You can use this 50% off on any product in the line up or simply have the money returned to you. If you wish to have a repair instead of an exchange you can sent the unit to me during the 3 years for a free evaluation and repair attempt. Users must ship at their own cost to me, I will offer free shipping on return.

Constant Current LED Drivers- I use an AL8805 Driver for each LED section to ensure the LEDS are powered to their maximum potential.

Community Choice designs- Have a certain layout you prefer? Don't like what I came up with? No problem! Pitch your new lighting layout to everyone and if you get a minimum of 3 other people to commit to buying it, I will design it and show you a render of the new design. Note: There are limitations on the amount of LEDS that can be used so designs may have to be altered slightly.
    Current design is top and bottom rows are running lights, middle two are brake, outer and second from end is turn signals. See dropbox link for further pictures.

Free shipping on all orders! Who doesn't love free shipping?

New connectors included on all lights. To keep costs affordable lights are designed to fit in the existing housing but require the users to splice into their old wires, however they choose. This is a simple process that can be done anyway the user wants, even without cutting wires by using items such as Posi-Tap. If you have any issues or concerns with this please say so, I plan on creating basic instructions to be included with the lights. No drilling required! I will upload a picture of the connector to the dropbox link tonight.

Now lets get to the lighting options!

The first light option is called the Economy option. It features the best value for users looking for a simple bright and basic running and brake light. NO TURN SIGNALS INCLUDED!
    Running LEDS= 25 total (Red)
    Brake LEDS= 20 total (Red)
    Buell Light Econo.jpg
    Price= $105.00

Second Option- Base model. This model includes the introduction to turn signals. However the turn signals are only available in RED. NO OPTIONS FOR YELLOW TURN SIGNALS. Pictures were taken during the day in full sun, unlike most companies who show off night time shots I want my friends to know exactly how they look in the environment they will use it. (Note: Due to how cameras capture pictures, the product may vary in perceived brightness)
    Running LEDS= 16 (Red)
    Brake LEDS= 16 (Red)
    Turn Signals= 6 Each (Red)

(This model has been produced and tested)
    Buell Light Base.jpg
    GIF Link- Buell Light Gif
    Additional photos- Please visit my drop box link to view all the photos I have for everyone since I am only able to attach 5 images.
    Drop Box Link
    Price= $120.00

Third Option- Mid Model. This model includes the same amount of brake and running LEDS but double the turn signal LEDS so that Amber LEDS can be used (May change if production model does not meet standards).
    Running LEDS= 16 (Red)
    Brake LEDS= 16 (Red)
    Turn LEDS= 12 Each (Red/Amber)
    Buell Light Mid.jpg
    Price= $135.00

Forth Option- High Model. This is the best of the best. Featuring more LEDS for every feature on the light. You cant get better than this! Picture shows the turn signals outlined in an orange box. The brake lights outlined in a green box, and the running not outlined.
    (May change if production does not meet standards)
    Running LEDS= 25 (Red)
    Brake LEDS= 30 (Red)
    Turn LEDS= 25 each! (Red/Amber)
    Buell Light High.jpg
    Price= $155.00

Additional attachment- Don't think I've forgotten about the License plate light. For those of us that have the clear license plate piece on our tail lights you can purchase a light for peace of mind and law enforcement. If you want to buy the LP light later down the road you can! Just send me your light and I can attach it. (User pays shipping to me, I will pay for shipping back)
    License plate LEDS- 12 (White)
    Buell Light License.png
    Price= $35.00

Again, Additional photos- Please visit my drop box link to view all the photos I have for everyone since I am only able to attach 5 images. You can comment on these photos on dropbox and I will be notified as well.
    Drop Box Link You can view more images and high resolutions then what is shown here. If you have any requests for additional photos please let me know. I will add any related photos to this folder for future use.

Group buy details and payment information-
    Since I am doing this myself for everyone I sadly can not offer these units one by one currently. However this is not a problem as my group buy requirements are low. For any one product I can build them with a min order of 3 units. That includes custom requested units. That is my min board ordering requirements so I will not force our community to buy more either.

Group buys can occur anytime someone gets 3 people to commit to buying (sending payment). I will strive to deliver products within two weeks after order but please allow up to 4 weeks. I am building these part time after my full time job.

Timeline- Week one- Orders received, Payments confirmed, Orders sent to manufacture for board production
    Week two- Board delivery, Building begins, testing (first runs may be held longer for additional testing)
    Week three- Orders shipped out, Or, Changes made to designs, revision sent to manufacture
    Week four- revision boards built, tested, shipped.

Payments- Payments can be sent via paypal goods option to Treahuggs@gmail.com or https://www.paypal.me/thuggs. I use paypal since it's the most trusted way to send money online and suggest sending money as payment for goods and services so that everyone is protected and secured.

If you prefer other payment options such as cashiers checks, etc please contact me and we will see what we can do.

Closing- I hope I have not left anything out but as always if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am also active on the facebook group as Trea Huggs, you may contact me on facebook as well. I know some new members may not know me but the old time members can vow that I am a trusted member that has never done our community wrong. I use to create the calendar a few years back. Let us continue to grow and learn. I am hopeful to one day be able to design and produce universal products for motorcycles such as bar end turn signals and such. If you are happy with the lights I produce and have another motorcycle you want my lights in, send me the housing and I will design a light for it! (A version of this will also be posted on facebook soon, also possibly badweatherbikers too.)

Sorry for the long post! Happy Buelling!
    Last edited by Loki; 01-29-2017 at 09:13 PM.

If I didn't have a XB Lights tail I would jump on this.

Are you using any sort of cooling on the board? The stock 2010 LED board has several vias for each LED, and doesn't have nearly the amount of LED's you have. Also, what are you doing for reflectors and lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Are you using any sort of cooling on the board? The stock 2010 LED board has several vias for each LED, and doesn't have nearly the amount of LED's you have. Also, what are you doing for reflectors and lenses?
    I use ground plane on front and back of the board for cooling. I have tested the Base Model for each section for over 12 hours each and sections together (running and brake) without the board getting above room temperature. There are assorted vias throughout the board as well for possible heat dissipation and each LED also has a small "heat sink" under the connections (see the pictures above for the LEDs, these pictures are Eagle layout pictures). Even coated in the Urethane I had no heat issues whats so ever. LEDs are not normally hot when operating at normal voltages and current, wattage is a big issue, the wattage of the LEDs I use is very low. Heat output in the same sense is also low. 5730 LEDs are often used in LED housing bulbs, and some automotive uses. A good read on LED heat if you're interested- http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles...duce-heat.html

I am using the lens on the LEDs themselves and no reflectors. Through my hands on tests, friends comments, and cost, reflectors don't appeal to the build. The LEDs themselves have a viewing angle of 120 degrees with clear lens covers. So in part, I use the tail light lens as a reflector since it has the "bubbly texture". I honestly think the lights (esp the high end) would be to bright for clear lens on that the 2010 LED light uses. But some riders want "too bright." The only LED light using a reflector on the market is the stock 2010 LED light. The production boards are planned to have white surface to help even more.
    Last edited by Loki; 01-30-2017 at 02:01 PM.

O no, I somehow deleted my second post on the mobile site, is an admin able to bring it back? Ugh this is why I hate vbulletin. If not I'll just repost the pictures again.

Looks good. I'll likely be in for the high option in the next couple weeks. Think you could upload a short video showing it/them in action?

There is a gif I made of a video I took linked above and also in the dropbox folder. If you'd line another video I can take one but the light won't be in the bike, I had to send my battery to shoari for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There is a gif I made of a video I took linked above and also in the dropbox folder. If you'd line another video I can take one but the light won't be in the bike, I had to send my battery to shoari for repair.
    I'll try to check out the gif on my computer but on my phone it's not working.

Edit: I downloaded and it worked but it's really grainy.
    Last edited by neilrl79; 01-30-2017 at 03:45 PM.

I'll upload the video and also make a new video when I get home that I will put into the dropbox link or YouTube.

Video is STILL uploading from yesterday. Bare with me.
    1/31- OK! finally got a way to share images and the Youtube videos uploaded. Sorry if these pictures do not scale down with the posts but hey, pictures!
    Running light (Base Model prototype shown)

Brake light (Base Model prototype shown)

Left Turn (Base Model prototype shown)

Right Turn (Base Model prototype shown)

Front Board (Base Model prototype shown)

Rear Board (Base Model prototype shown)

Water test=PASS! (Base Model prototype shown)

All lighting modes in direct sunlight (Base Model prototype shown)

Connector that comes with the lights. (Female end is attached to the boards)

Connector fits through existing hole without any drilling needed.

Clear Alternative example that came with the bike. I didn't at first think it was a CA Light.

Gif video uploaded to youtube (base model shown on bike)

Further video overview (base model shown)

If anyone has anymore questions please let me know.

I know everyone wants to see some of the other models, I want to deliver and show how each model works and shows. However due to my current situation I can not afford to have every board style made at this time. I am planning to order the boards for the model that the community is most interested in, whether that is the high end, mid, or economy models. Share what model you are most interested in seeing me build and I will order the boards and build that model to show everyone.

I would love to hear feedback from everyone, whether constructive or positive.
    Last edited by Loki; 02-01-2017 at 01:46 AM.

So - any chance of another group buy on these? I'd like to order a board...if there are several others in the same boat, that would be great...