Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken exhaust studs, I have my weekend work cut out for me.

Broken exhaust studs, I have my weekend work cut out for me.

Well my son was using the wife's Buell for a day, and then he sent me this picture when he got home.

So I figured great, lost the nuts, no biggie, bring it round I'll sort it out.
    So when he brought it round, I wasnt as happy.
    Both studs broken

And the likely culprit

So yeah, my weekend is booked.

Part of studs are sticking out... may be your lucky day. Mine was sheered flush.. they had to rotate motor. Big expense.

Culprit? 100% that's the culprit.

Get it nice and hot. Mine came out with a left hand drill bit and it was flush.

When you replace the exhaust hanger/bracket bolt Id suggest drilling the nut and bolt so that you can put a cotter pin in em. Or find a nut/bolt combo that is predrilled for a cotter pin. I've had the nut on my exhaust braket bolt work itself loose in the past and have employed this tactic ever since.
    Good luck fixing the exhaust stud! If it's just the one pictured you might get lucky using some sort of extractor. Looks like if you're real careful you might not have to rotate the engine.
    Good luck
    Keep us posted on the progress

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    When you replace the exhaust hanger/bracket bolt Id suggest drilling the nut and bolt so that you can put a cotter pin in em. Or find a nut/bolt combo that is predrilled for a cotter pin. I've had the nut on my exhaust braket bolt work itself loose in the past and have employed this tactic ever since.
    Good luck fixing the exhaust stud! If it's just the one pictured you might get lucky using some sort of extractor. Looks like if you're real careful you might not have to rotate the engine.
    Good luck
    Keep us posted on the progress
    Great idea on the pin, will certainly look at that option.

There are no Buell part suppliers here, and South Africa is a metric country. Is there a Harley equivalent for the exhaust stud ? That would make my life a lot easier.

Its a sweet machine, resprayed in candy apple red (As per wife's instructions)

Quote Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
    Great idea on the pin, will certainly look at that option.

There are no Buell part suppliers here, and South Africa is a metric country. Is there a Harley equivalent for the exhaust stud ? That would make my life a lot easier.
    Same as a sportster if that helps. Looks like you didn't lose the spacer for the exhaust, that may be harder to track down. Be glad you didn't need to buy one of these for $120.00 like me.

Well a good prayer is never out of place.
    Lower one came out with a pair of mole grips after removing the reg/rectifier.
    Top one was a bit more challenging . Forced an M7 13mm nut on, and arc welded
    it onto the stud, then backed it all out with a socket spanner.
    Time spent in total, less than an hour.
    So tomorrow I'll visit HD and see if they have any Sportster studs (thanks lowkey)

Excellent work! I give you mad props for arc welding that nut onto the broken stud. Now that's ingenuity!

Nice... man I wish I would have been that lucky.

So HD did have the studs, but no nuts. I had to visit a nut and bolt shop to get those.
    Also got a long bolt and nuts for the lower mount.
    I took the advise and drilled a hole for a split pin, sorry for for cell phone pic.

Installed bolt with a nyloc, then a washer with the split pin against that. I will monitor the setup.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

Edit. I only noticed now when posting that the mount is cracking off the exhaust.
    Looks like I'll be removing that and doing another repair......bike ownership !!

Last edited by Beebop; 02-06-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast