Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust and filter and ECM, oh my!

Exhaust and filter and ECM, oh my!

Ok guys....in light of my plan to keep the 2008 XB12Scg that I bought a few months ago with the intent to sell, I've started thinking about a different muffler. I've listened to lots of clips of different ones, and think the Buell race one is probably my favorite. And then quickly realized how rare and expensive they are. So my 2nd choice sound wise is the Jardine. So here are my questions, in no particular order:

1- If I replace the muffler and put the K&N air filter in, what has to be done to the ECM?

2 - With the muffler, filter, and ECM changes, what kind of power gain is a reasonable expectation? Any weight savings?

3 - With the Jardine, so you lose the exhaust valve stuff? If so, what's involved in that and how does it affect anything?

4 - What are we looking at cost wise for the whole project? It looks like the exhaust is about $400-$450 and the filter is about $65, correct? So then it's just a matter of whatever ECM changes are required and cost, yes?

5 - Am I missing anything?

6 - Is it worth it to lay out $500+ to improve the sound and gain a few horsepower?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome....thanks!

Warner

1) Need a new ECM/tune.
    2) Weight savings, yes. Power gains, minimal.
    3) Exhaust valve cable is disconnected and can be left under the seat. The new ECM will have that error code blocked off.
    4) ECM will set you back $300 - $340.
    5) I would do the engine breather reroute at the same time.
    6) IMO, worth.

Thanks GregoXB. A grand and a bunch of work for minimal gains, just to make it sound better? Hmmmmmm....having 2nd thoughts. But I very much appreciate the reply. I've been reading all different threads on exhaust changes....all different brands, and it seems like more of a headache than it's worth, frankly.

Thanks again,

Warner

Figure on dropping 7 to 800 by the time you're done. If you go Jardine like $430? with fairing brackets + $50?for the k&n + $300 for ecm unless you can get someone to tune it cheaper (generally 150 to 200). That's about the cheapest kit for new stuff.

I just did dean's MagnaFlow on a lightning. $460 shipped I think? For the pipe, $75 for the fairing brackets, and a $200 tune. (Already had filter). Totally worth it

I'll sell you this drag pipe for $15 plus shipping! https://youtu.be/sc5QcKyRO40. Now that's loud for cheap!

If I was strapped on cash, I would probably go with Hawk.

Inactive
    2008-2010 models if looking for increased noise...no increase in performance.....sexy twin outlets.....the following:
    Hawkins muffler with mandatory K&N style filter with breather re-route. total all-in pricing of approx. $240.
    "Ride-In-Learn-Mode" along with simple TPS reset and it will run fine. remapped stock ecm and it will run finer.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    2008-2010 models if looking for increased noise...no increase in performance.....sexy twin outlets.....the following:
    Hawkins muffler with mandatory K&N style filter with breather re-route. total all-in pricing of approx. $240.
    "Ride-In-Learn-Mode" along with simple TPS reset and it will run fine. remapped stock ecm and it will run finer.
    Now you're talking......let me check that out....thanks!

Warner

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    "Hawkins"? Or "Hawk"?

Warner

http://www.hawkperformancemufflers.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast