Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short guy on a Ulysses?

I'm 5'9" if I stretch, my inseam is 29". Now maybe it's because I also own a Triumph Explorer, very top heavy bike and I lowered it or I've gotten used to it, but I have no problem with the ully at all. Oh, did I mention I'm also old !

Keep your eyes open for a lower seat, they come up every now and then, there is also a way to lower the bike, it's like a different, or thinner washer that goes on the bottom of the rear shock, I'm sure someone will tell you the correct terminology for it.

Good luck with it, your going to love it !

John, are you making fun of short people again, because I resemble that remark. Hey, by the way, the SS has 617 miles on it, original owner !

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    at your specifications sire you are going to really struggle mounting and dismounting a STOCK ulysses. i've owned 7 of them so i know what i speak of. i'm 6ft tall and 190lbs and at my proportions they remained "challenging" to mount and dismount from. tip-toes used at stops of course. you'll now find that midgets, wizards and dwarfs on here will chime in with "go to hell John. i'm 4ft.10 inches tall and ride my ulysses daily with nary a problem." let the rumble commence.
    You're damn right! I think I'm a wizard,but either way. I was over 200 when I bought my uly and I'm 5'7". (I was close to 250!) Anywho now down to a pudgy 175lol. A uly is still a monstrously tall bike! Almost 7 years of owning it and a factory low seat and xb12stt rear shock to get about 3/4" inch drop in the rear and the bike is my third limb. That being said at your height (our) it will take tons on practice to handle the bike in parking and stopping situations also you'll seldom be able to back it up while on the bike. You'll have to mind the slope of any surface you stop on because a few degrees the wrong way and you can't get it rocked back on the stand or reach with the foot you need to. I think that explains the PITA it can be. But if you lower it and are careful and determined you will love the Ulysses

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I just want to point out that if you have comfort issues on a sporty, you're gonna have 10x the issues on a firebolt or lightning.
    And if you're vertically challenged, forget about the uly!
    My brother is 6ft tall and carries his 240lbs quite well. He couldn't ride my firebolt more than 1/2 a mile before turning around and giving it up. His hips and knees did not enjoy the riding position.
    His bike of choice is a KLR 600(or is it 650?). Anyway, he's into the adventure dual sport bikes and couldn't stand my bolt.
    Just FYI
    You're probably right. My sporty is a 1200S, so it has mid controls but they are higher and further foward than any other sportster. It's that knee in the chest thing that bothers me, having to hold my hip at that angle. Fowards are out becuase the pressure that the weight of my leg places on my hip in that position is even worse! I generally don't mind the sport bike seating position, in fact the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned was the Yamaha YZF600R which is a sport/touring bike, it was awesome. I could hop on that bike and ride all day. I'm hoping that the Uly will be the same as that though I realize it's an adventure and not a sport tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I'm 5'9" if I stretch, my inseam is 29". Now maybe it's because I also own a Triumph Explorer, very top heavy bike and I lowered it or I've gotten used to it, but I have no problem with the ully at all. Oh, did I mention I'm also old !

Keep your eyes open for a lower seat, they come up every now and then, there is also a way to lower the bike, it's like a different, or thinner washer that goes on the bottom of the rear shock, I'm sure someone will tell you the correct terminology for it.

Good luck with it, your going to love it !

John, are you making fun of short people again, because I resemble that remark. Hey, by the way, the SS has 617 miles on it, original owner !
    Yes, I have seen a few methods of lowering the Uly, I think the suspension replacement route (ss shock, 1125 forks) seems the most appealing but who knows? Maybe the spacer alone would be enough, or the lower seat, or both! Anyhow, I think that I'll look into any and all options and may use every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    You're damn right! I think I'm a wizard,but either way. I was over 200 when I bought my uly and I'm 5'7". (I was close to 250!) Anywho now down to a pudgy 175lol. A uly is still a monstrously tall bike! Almost 7 years of owning it and a factory low seat and xb12stt rear shock to get about 3/4" inch drop in the rear and the bike is my third limb. That being said at your height (our) it will take tons on practice to handle the bike in parking and stopping situations also you'll seldom be able to back it up while on the bike. You'll have to mind the slope of any surface you stop on because a few degrees the wrong way and you can't get it rocked back on the stand or reach with the foot you need to. I think that explains the PITA it can be. But if you lower it and are careful and determined you will love the Ulysses
    Yes, I am aware of the issues I'll face. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things where it's like "you won't touch at all" or if it would be one of those "teeter totter" things which it seems like it'll be. I've had a couple of bikes, namely the Triumph sprint ST which I was 1 foot down at a time, couldn't back up at all, but when on the road it was fine and I could handle it just fine as well. I'm also a metric bike mechanic and I have been on several different things from Triumph tigers to, versys, DR650's, MX bikes, etc. I couldn't touch on any of them but was able to manouver and get down the road safely. I'm a very experienced rider as I do it all day long on many different bikes. I just wasn't sure if the Uly is worse than those as I have never been on one of those. If it's anything similar I have ridden an XR1200 and it wasn't too bad, one of the other guys dumped that bike because he couldn't reach the ground, I couldn't either but I guess I was a little better with shifting my weight..

Anyhow, I appreciate the comments. I think the Uly will be a good bike for me, it should certainly fit the bill better than what I am on now. The owner is supposed to bring her by in the morning and if everything is good on both ends we'll swap. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'll chime in here. I'm 5'7" with about a 28 inseam. I have a 2006 Ulysses with a low seat and have the hyperpro lowering kit on it. I am comfortable on it. I will also say that you need to be comfortable with the fact that you WILL NOT be able to flat foot with both feet on it. I can't think of a single bike where I really can and I've never been the type to make it an issue. If it's what you want, you'll have to adapt.

Just wanted to chime in. It can be done. It will all depend on your level of comfort. Myself personally, I wouldn't want anything else. This bike has been all I could have hoped for and more. Pure comfort. rides like you're on a cloud. I love mine and find myself on it more than my 9SX a lot.

Pic to show how she sits right now height wise.
    IMG_20161228_115654150.jpg

^^^^^Now that's the best feedback of the whole thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
    I'll chime in here. I'm 5'7" with about a 28 inseam. I have a 2006 Ulysses with a low seat and have the hyperpro lowering kit on it. I am comfortable on it. I will also say that you need to be comfortable with the fact that you WILL NOT be able to flat foot with both feet on it. I can't think of a single bike where I really can and I've never been the type to make it an issue. If it's what you want, you'll have to adapt.

Just wanted to chime in. It can be done. It will all depend on your level of comfort. Myself personally, I wouldn't want anything else. This bike has been all I could have hoped for and more. Pure comfort. rides like you're on a cloud. I love mine and find myself on it more than my 9SX a lot.

Pic to show how she sits right now height wise.
    IMG_20161228_115654150.jpg
    Thank you. I definitely don't plan to flat foot it, I knew that wasn't going to happen! I work with guy who has a BMW GS800 (I think) and he's at least a foot taller than I and he flat foots that bike but his legs are at about my chest, so I realize that I'm not going to be in that same scenario. I'm fine with riding a bike I can't flat foot, as I mentioned before I'm a motorcycle tech, so I spend all day riding things and I have been on many where I had to lean the bike over and touch with 1 foot while the other stayed on the peg. Even MX bikes where I have to lean them against the wall to kick them because I can't stand high enough over it to kick it. I've definitely done it. I just didn't want to see someone say "the Uly is so big it makes an MX bike seem like a tricycle" and no one has, so that works for me.

Man, if the guy shows up at the time he said I am t-minus 3 hours from seeing the bike now! Can't wait.

Pics or it didn't happen! Good luck.
    I will add, my wish on my uly is that I had the time/money to lower it enough to use the standard seat. It was much more comfy than my low one. So something to consider if you get it.

Done deal guys!

The guy showed up about 7:30 this morning, we did a little ride around the block and I went for it. It was completely comfortable with my hip issue, smooth on the highway, great brakes and all of that. As far as touching it is a challenge but it's just about the same as I am on any sport or sport touring bike. It's isn't higher or worse than those and I've spent a lot of time on them, so I am comfortable with only placing 1 foot down at a time or being tip toe with both down. Either way, I'm pretty happy and the other guy loved my sportster, said it's the fastest sportster he's ever seen (I told him that already) I'll miss having the special S model sportster but I think I'll be happier riding the Buell because I can ride and be comfortable rather than just looking at the sportster becuase it hurt to much to ride.

Anyway, pics.. So it DID happen!

Last edited by chiliphil1; 02-03-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Very nice! Good looking bike.
    It's all about what makes you happy.
    You close to TN or NC?
    Couldn't help but notice the white dragon sticker on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Very nice! Good looking bike.
    It's all about what makes you happy.
    You close to TN or NC?
    Couldn't help but notice the white dragon sticker on the bike.
    I'm in GA. The PO lived in north GA, so he would go up there sometimes. I'll probably end up taking that off as I've never been up there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast