Thread: New owner of Xb12R

New owner of Xb12R

Finally found someone a few weeks ago to trade my 09 fz6 to for an 07 Xb12r with some mods. It has a lot of miles, about 30k, but it seems to be in great condition and rode perfectly. The previous owner had done the RSS mod, installed a D&D exhaust, race ECU, steel braided brake lines, and a bar conversion kit. I haven't gotten to ride much because of the weather where I'm at, but the time I've spent on it I've been very happy.

Any advice or things to look out for on this year of XB? Any popular or useful mods I'm missing that would be worth to do? Super excited to be part of the Buell club!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do the breather reroute mod -- many threads on here about it. I'm assuming it has a high flow air filter, ie k&n. If not, pop one of those in it. And other than safety checks like brake pads, brake fluid, good rubber, air pressure you should be able to ride it fine. Further maintenance I would check the primary chain adjustment and clutch cable adjustment. Have the battery load tested and clean all ground connections. You can download a service manual at buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrtogo View Post
    The previous owner had done steel braided brake lines

Any advice or things to look out for on this year of XB? Any popular or useful mods I'm missing that would be worth to do? Super excited to be part of the Buell club!
    XB's have braided brake lines stock, no idea why yours is routed like that? looks WAY to long...

Checklist on top of what Simplymichaeljr said would be to pick up a bluetooth dongle and android device with ECMdroid to see what the ECU has to say, will let you perform TPS reset as well as troubleshooting down the road, it is a must have.
    Wheel bearings I personally would replace for peace of mind. FWIW I used "all-balls" front and rear on two Buells and had one of the rear bearings disintegrate down to about 4-5 balls left in the race, I sourced SKF from ebay this last time around, they are supposedly the best option but more $$$.

Basic inspection:
    Check your intake seals for leaks and if replacement is needed go with the James blue seals
    Check the header gaskets for leaks as well as proper mounting of D&D to header and the bike
    Check clutch cable adjustment/lube it and inspect cable boot at mid point for tears and lastly o-ring at primary cover
    Flush brake fluid out with new DOT-4
    Check steering head bearings for play/roughness
    Blue loctite every bolt!!!

+1 on that front brake line. Compare it to your other bike that is sitting right next to it. I'd be under the assumption that the PO needed a new brake line for some reason and that's all he could get his hands on. Just buy a new one and make sure you use new copper washers. No biggie

Don't use a damn torque wrench on the drain plug. The spec is wrong in the manual. Go by feel.

^^^^^^^^he is right. Torque by feel. Don't wanna be drilling out drain plugs lol

The PO decided he wanted a steel braided front brake line, and instead of spending some money getting one, decided to modify one from a car..It seems to work fine, but I'm for sure going to replace it.

Yeah but they all originally have braided lines from the factor is what they mean. Sweet Tuono, I have an 09.

cool bike! ride the hell out of it. put another 50k miles on it. i'm also a fan of lithium batteries.