Thread: Rpm@mph?

Rpm@mph?

So the other day it was only 10* below freezing, so I figured I'd put the madstad on and go for a ride. Tooling along down the freeway on the way home (breakfast burritos don't stay warm long at those temps, had to get them home) and it occurred to me that I was in third gear. Long story short, I think I'll really enjoy it more if I go with the xb9 primary gearing. But since so far my bike came with nearly every option and upgrade, I want to make sure it doesn't already have it installed without having to pull the cover off. Does anyone have a good accurate rpm@mph (gps) figure for stock and/or the xb9 gearing?

next time im out ill post and let you know.

Thanks!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    So the other day it was only 10* below freezing, so I figured I'd put the madstad on and go for a ride. Tooling along down the freeway on the way home (breakfast burritos don't stay warm long at those temps, had to get them home) and it occurred to me that I was in third gear. Long story short, I think I'll really enjoy it more if I go with the xb9 primary gearing. But since so far my bike came with nearly every option and upgrade, I want to make sure it doesn't already have it installed without having to pull the cover off. Does anyone have a good accurate rpm@mph (gps) figure for stock and/or the xb9 gearing?
    the XB9 gearing is 10% lower than the XB12 gearing. speeds below are approximates in top/5th gear with stock belt pulleys and stock aspect ratio tires:
    XB9: 100mph @ approx. 5400rpm
    XB9: 70mph @ approx. 3900rpm
    XB12: 100mph @ approx. 4800rpm
    XB12: 70mph @ approx. 3500rpm.
    contrary to popular thought the higher rpms for street cruising on a 9 harm nothing. 9 stroke considerably shorter than 12 stroke which results in less piston foot-speed per mile.