Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I out of my mind? Never mind....I am....

Were not arguing or trying to lecture, just a helpful heads up. If you really enjoy it, more power to ya! Wish u the best of luck with it for sure

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Were not arguing or trying to lecture, just a helpful heads up. If you really enjoy it, more power to ya! Wish u the best of luck with it for sure
    I get it. This is something I've been doing for a while. Not with motorcycle parts necessarily....but with estates and large lots of items. It's a LOT of work, I know that. I just felt like for the price and the sheer amount of "stuff" it wasn't much of a risk. If it didn't work out the way I'm expecting it to, it certainly wouldn't be the first time. If I make a bunch of money, learn, and enjoy the process, it wouldn't be the first time either. We all have time that we spend on different things. Some people watch television for 6 hours a day and don't really want to take on additional work. I get it. Sometimes I get in that mode, too. But when a deal comes along that feels right, I'm not afraid to put the work and effort in to try to make it work. Hell, I paid for my pickup truck AND my Buell just by going on Craigslist and getting free stuff that people were giving away and reselling it. My other bike was paid for by buying a bike out of an estate that my friend was selling. I bought that (for what he paid me to help him with the sale) and rode it for a little over a year. Then after a 2k mile trip on it, I sold it for 3x what I paid for it and bought my next bike. I love flipping stuff. It's a sickness for sure.

Warner

Have fun !

If you have the patience, persistence, resources and motivation to make this work to your advantage, then I'm all behind you.

I get frustrated too easily and have too many irons in the fire to focus on selling all those parts. If I was in your shoes, I'd sell a couple parts and make a few bucks, then lose interest and sell the rest at a loss. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If you have the patience, persistence, resources and motivation to make this work to your advantage, then I'm all behind you.

I get frustrated too easily and have too many irons in the fire to focus on selling all those parts. If I was in your shoes, I'd sell a couple parts and make a few bucks, then lose interest and sell the rest at a loss. LOL!!
    It happens to the best of us. But you are correct....you have to be dedicated to it. And sometimes, cutting bait and moving on is the best action.

Warner

UPDATE: I don't have everything home yet, but I sold 8 of the 15 gas tanks, one set of plastics (probably have 20+ when I get it all home), and one seat (have about 50) and I'm halfway back from what I paid for everything (including materials for the shelving I built in my basement).

Warner

If you're happy and making money then

Any cool XB parts in the mix?

Sorry for the slow reply! No XB parts at all. I'm only $485 away from breaking even, with TONS of stuff left to sell. Should do ok on this deal. It is lots of work though, no doubt about it.

Warner

Well, I hope that your profit margin is commensurate with the amount of work you put in. Keep us informed, as I am sure the neh sayers are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well, I hope that your profit margin is commensurate with the amount of work you put in. Keep us informed, as I am sure the neh sayers are watching.
    I'm not really sure how one would justify that. Is the amount of time someone spends watching TV commensurate with the amount of money they make doing it? I guess I view this as doing something productive vs non productive. I'm sure I'll do fine with this stuff financially. I have 20+ wheels, 10 gas tanks, 40+ seats, a bunch of NOS blister pack "accessories" ($1k worth at recent ebay prices), a couple NOS body pieces, 15 fenders, and fairings from probably 20 sportbikes left to sell. The money is there for sure. So it's just time listing, packing, and shipping. Not a big deal to me...do it all the time. On top of that, I've built a good relationship with the shop....they told me to bring both bikes by and they'll dyno test them for me for free, and giving me a great deal on new tires for my CBR. On top of that, it forced me to clean the room in my basement and build some great shelves down there. All good stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast