Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micro voltmeter in handlebar control housing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    What hot wire are going to jump?
    Orange wire in the left hand control harness (horn power source). Ground can be taken from black wire of the clutch switch. In my case I already sourced ground wire in the left hand control harness.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-10-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Voltmeter would have saved me at least 4 miles of pushing Buells by now...
    10-4. I didn't think that electrical problems were frequent enough on these to warrant modifying for a meter,but it appears I stand corrected. I've considered the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter,would be super easy on a uly!

This one is great!

Banned
    Here we go!

They was pretty cool

Looks good. Clean install. 👍

I agree with all the above!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks,

Here is the process of installation.

First of all you have to buy the micro voltmeter. I did some investigation and figured out that the smallest voltmeter I can find is this guy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191778835105...BIDX%3AIT#rwid

Part number KYX-2381BS

I picked the red color voltmeter to match my Motogadget gauge, you can pick any color, blue, green, yellow, red.

Here are the voltmeter sizes

I had already installed voltmeter on my motorcycle, but this was big ugly voltmeter I mounted with tape at emergency circumstances when I had electrical issues on my motorcycle. I also had to dismount this big voltmeter each time I need to remove the air box cover. Plus when I fueled motorcycle I had to put handlebar straight otherwise it was impossible to remove the gas cap. So I decided to eliminate this big voltmeter and to install the smallest possible voltmeter I can find and make it look nice and accurate.

I took some measurements from left handlebar control housing and figured out this small voltmeter should fit and it is very nice place for it.

But you have to cut off the lugs on the voltmeter to make it smaller. I used Dremel and file to remove the lugs.

So unscrew the left handlebar control housing

Dismount the housing from handlebar

Unscrew the plastic cable guide

Cut the wiring zip tie

Unscrew all internal components from the front panel

Remove internal components from the front panel (the turn signal button will stay, do not remove it)

Here is the location of the window you have to cut

For next steps you have to perform some measurements to understand where you are going to locate the window and how you have to modify the front panel of the control housing. Here is my window sizes and location. I do recommend you use same sizes.

Now you have to remove some material from the bushing inside the front panel to clear the space for the voltmeter. The window size and location will give you idea how much material you have to remove. You can use Dremel tool or x-acto blades or any another tool to remove the material manually. I used milling machine to mill the bushing.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-12-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Banned
    Here is the result you need to have. Do not remove too much material, remove just enough.

Here is how the voltmeter should be located inside the housing. So you cam see ham much material you should remove from the busing. I remove the material to have about 1 mm gap between the voltmeter and the bushing milled face when the voltmeter sits in the place.

The next step is cutting the window in the front panel for the voltmeter. You can mark the window and cut it manually using blades, Dremel and then finish in with file, or you can mill the window using milling machine. I used laser cutter to cut the window. Laser cutter is easy, fast and accurate way to cut the window in the plastic part.

Now you have to cut clear window from 1.5-2 mm acrylic glass to fit it into the front paned window hole. Again you can cut and finish the window using manual tools. The finished window glass should fit snug. I used laser cutter for to cut the window glass.

Then you have to glue the window glass in the space. I used superglue. Put SUPER THIN layer of superglue on the walls of the window hole. Use long life superglue so it will not cure too yearly. I recommend you to put protective tape on the window glass top and bottom faces when you will glue it in the space so once you have removed the tape the window glass will be clean and has no glue on it.

Remove the protective tape from the window glass and let the glue to cure.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-12-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast