Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECM loses changes after power cut

ECM loses changes after power cut

Guys I'm creating a new thread because my doubts and discoveries got spread over two or three different threads in different areas of the forum. And I also have new info to provide you with in order to try to get relevant help from you.

My problem: my 2008 Uly's ECM loses data that I upload to it after power is cut (cycle ignition off and back on after burn).

With engine running I disabled closed loop idle and burned this change to the ECM. Immediately EGO stoped moving, so voilá, the ECM received the new data. However, after turning engine off, ignition off and back on and engine on again, EGO was working again at idle.

I have a spare ECM which I also put in place and exactly the same happened.

What the hell is going on with my bike?! Doesnt it look like a (terrible) electrical problem?

I've never tried to turn off closed loop so I cannot say for sure. But, if I were you I would attempt to make the changes without the engine running. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplymichaeljr View Post
    I've never tried to turn off closed loop so I cannot say for sure. But, if I were you I would attempt to make the changes without the engine running. Just my thoughts.
    Hi!
    Actually I always make changes with the engine off. But I was going through this issue of the ECM "losing" all the tuning I burn to it. Thats why I made the test of applying one single change to it with engine running that enabled me to realize that ECM does receive new data, it just looses it when power is cut.

Can you take some screen shots? Like before, during, and after burning the changes to the ECM.

Are you sure the "allow ECM burning" option is checked in the settings?

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Are you sure the "allow ECM burning" option is checked in the settings?

Where exactly is this option? TunerPro RT doesnt have it.

Guys, I figured out PIN 17 in the black connector of the ECM, which is "+12 Volts Battery (keepalive)", reads ZERO volts doesnt matter if ignition is ON or OFF. According to the guys at IDS this pin should read 12v, but I´m getting no power on it. This wire comes from the ECM fuse as per the Buell Electrical manual. I replaced that fuse with a new one, nothing changed.
    Any ideas?

Check the connectors or the wire for chafes, shorts, or frays.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaff View Post
    Where exactly is this option? TunerPro RT doesnt have it.
    Sorry, I assumed you were using ECMDroid

What software you are using would have been helpful.

You say you burned a change and the ego immediately stopped changing, so it obviously worked. This is not true. TunerPro only allows one side of the software to work at a time, the xdf or the adx. If you were reading live data with the adx side connected, you can't make any changes, and when you tried to make a change it most likely turned off the adx side, making it look like the ego stopped. You need to disconnect from the adx side, then connect on the xdf side before you can then upload a change.

Gee's you guys are good, I just wish I knew what you all are talking about ! Someday I'll figure but it out.

You can only get this kind of help here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast