Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dedicated Harley Clothing Stores?

sadly its not the best bike builders who flourish.

Harley has built a huge brand similarly to Apple.
    Harleys are not the smoothest, most comfortable or best performing bikes out there in any of the categories ( which is limited to cruisers)
    But still they sell.

If the best bike builders were the most successful... Buell would still be alive and well

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    sadly its not the best bike builders who flourish.

Harley has built a huge brand similarly to Apple.
    Harleys are not the smoothest, most comfortable or best performing bikes out there in any of the categories ( which is limited to cruisers)
    But still they sell.

If the best bike builders were the most successful... Buell would still be alive and well
    I have to say it also depends on your definition of the"best" when it comes to vehicles. Similar to Harley Davidson ford sells the hell out of f-series pickups. Not because they are the most refined,awesome performing machines on the planet. Because the are mass produced,generally reliable and simple, marginally desirable looking and priced at an attainable level. Just like your run of the mill road king. Being the best at something usually means winning not losing but doing an impressive job! Buell failed as a motorcycle manufacturer period.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I have to say it also depends on your definition of the"best" when it comes to vehicles. Similar to Harley Davidson ford sells the hell out of f-series pickups. Not because they are the most refined,awesome performing machines on the planet. Because the are mass produced,generally reliable and simple, marginally desirable looking and priced at an attainable level. Just like your run of the mill road king. Being the best at something usually means winning not losing but doing an impressive job! Buell failed as a motorcycle manufacturer period.
    I think it comes down to marketing. The average guy walking into a Harley shop was not interested in a sporty bike like the Buell. I cant comment on the management of Buell or how they handled finances because i don't know how they did in those areas of business. Im assuming Buell failed because they couldn't sell (correct me if I'm wrong).

And i would agree with you that "best" is hard to quantify. But if you don't agree with me, then why do you own one?

I don't completely disagree with you. But I also own a Ford and a Harley LOL

I agree with you in the sense that Buells are likely the most impressive machine to ever grace a harley showroom and that EBR's are world class awesome, but both companies failed to sell the "desire" to own one. Sure those of us who bought one because we did some research and realized its a damn amazing motorcycle(especially for the money) now have the "desire" to ride one/ own one. Even the looks of buells have been eye catching, but still just not enough. Harley has done such a good job marketing that many people only want a harley, because it is a Harley, now thats brilliant! Many other brands have the same effect on people, but i guess EBR/ buell just can't get er figured out. I've been feeling a bit bitter about it lately again since the newest press release i guess im lashing out

I thought it was established that Buells were selling well prior to getting the axe.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    I thought it was established that Buells were selling well prior to getting the axe.
    If that's true (I'm not saying it isn't) then why stop making them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    If that's true (I'm not saying it isn't) then why stop making them?
    Copied from Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buel...rcycle_Company

By 2008, Harley's credit arm, Harley-Davidson Financial Services (HDFS), was struggling, and the lower resale value of Buell motorcycles meant that new bike sales were significantly affected.[10] When Harley CEO Keith Wandell was hired, he immediately questioned why Harley even owned Buell.[10] Wandell, who had never been on a Harley before being hired, was heard talking about "Erik's racing hobby", and questioned "why anyone would even want to ride a sportbike".[10] He organized a team to analyze "the adrenaline market", and concluded that sportbikes would encounter high competition and low profits, while cruisers had high returns.[10]On Thursday, October 15, 2009, Harley-Davidson Inc. announced the end of production of Buell Motorcycles in order to focus more on the Harley-Davidson brand. Selling Buell was not legitimately considered, as Harley didn't want their Harley dealerships to sell an outside brand, and Harley didn't feel Buell had much value without the dealer network.[10] In a news release on the Buell website the same day, company officials thanked customers, employees, and dealers for "an unforgettable ride".[12] Closing the Buell brand was estimated to cost Harley approximately the same as their total investment in Buell over the past 25 years.[10] Erik Buell immediately began looking for outside buyers, finding BRP (who owns the Austrian Rotax engine manufacturer BRP-Powertrain) a good choice, especially since Harley would have to pay Rotax "an eight-figure sum" for the 1,125 cc engine contract.[10]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12