Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XB12Ss DIY Fender chop questions

XB12Ss DIY Fender chop questions

Hey guys, I just got a 2007 XB12ss Lightning Long. I want to get rid of the ugly giant rear fender/license plate holder thing. I'm planning to mount my plate under the tail with my own brackets, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to chop the fender without it looking ugly. I was hoping to just unbolt it, but it looks like the taillight is integrated into it. Have you guys just been cutting yours with a dremel/hacksaw? Any pics so I don't butcher it?

Thanks.

Probably the easiest way to do it is to post it up for sale/trade with someone who has already chopped theirs. There is a lot of people out there who wish they never chopped theirs and would love to get a clean stock one.

How I did it.
    Remove license plate light, turn signals and cheese grater mesh.
    Cut off most with hacksaw/sawzall/grinder with cutting wheel.
    Smooth to
    Shape with 4" grinder with grinding wheel.
    Smooth with 4" grinder with 240 grit flapper wheel.
    Dremel any tight or hard to reach areas.

There is a Duplicolor "Perfect Match" spray paint available at your local oreilly/autozone/pep boys that is almost a spot on color match for those silver side rails.

Be careful as you get to the end of grinding. My current bike had a couple of air pockets in the casting, that you don't know about until it's too late. Luckily you can just fill them with epoxy or body filler before you paint.

There should be more than a few pictures on the web of people who have done this and how they mounted their license plate/turn signals afterwards.

Also, I think there is someone who will do this for you for a nominal fee. Probably worth it.

I'd still recommend asking around before you start chopping. You may wind up making money in the end.

Banned
    Pay attention the bottom area after chopping should have opening for license plate light (the white window on the bottom of the tail light). It looks like this feature was designed originally and short tail is standard Buell after-market part.

I chopped my tail completely with tail light for LED stripe and welded new bottom to it http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...rom-stock-tail

Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-04-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Probably the easiest way to do it is to post it up for sale/trade with someone who has already chopped theirs. There is a lot of people out there who wish they never chopped theirs and would love to get a clean stock one.

How I did it.
    Remove license plate light, turn signals and cheese grater mesh.
    Cut off most with hacksaw/sawzall/grinder with cutting wheel.
    Smooth to
    Shape with 4" grinder with grinding wheel.
    Smooth with 4" grinder with 240 grit flapper wheel.
    Dremel any tight or hard to reach areas.

There is a Duplicolor "Perfect Match" spray paint available at your local oreilly/autozone/pep boys that is almost a spot on color match for those silver side rails.

Be careful as you get to the end of grinding. My current bike had a couple of air pockets in the casting, that you don't know about until it's too late. Luckily you can just fill them with epoxy or body filler before you paint.

There should be more than a few pictures on the web of people who have done this and how they mounted their license plate/turn signals afterwards.

Also, I think there is someone who will do this for you for a nominal fee. Probably worth it.

I'd still recommend asking around before you start chopping. You may wind up making money in the end.
    Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Pay attention the bottom area after chopping should have opening for license plate light (the white window on the bottom of the tail light). It looks like this feature was designed originally and short tail is standard Buell after-market part.

I chopped my tail completely with tail light for LED stripe and welded new bottom to it http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...rom-stock-tail

Wow... Have you considered making more of these and selling them?

Better question, what would you charge to make one for me? I'm pretty good mechanically, but my fab skills are not up to your level.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Wow... Have you considered making more of these and selling them?

Better question, what would you charge to make one for me? I'm pretty good mechanically, but my fab skills are not up to your level.
    go to page 2 of this thread(see link below). that should answer your question.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...Buell-XB/page2

Banned
    No, I have not considered it, and I think my charge will be higher than standard fender eliminator kit cost.

If you feel you can't fabricate it by yourself and if you can't find someone who wants to transfer his short tail you can buy fender eliminator and then sell your tail piece.

https://dieselmoto.com/products/xb-s-fender-eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Hey guys, I just got a 2007 XB12ss Lightning Long. I want to get rid of the ugly giant rear fender/license plate holder thing. I'm planning to mount my plate under the tail with my own brackets, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to chop the fender without it looking ugly. I was hoping to just unbolt it, but it looks like the taillight is integrated into it. Have you guys just been cutting yours with a dremel/hacksaw? Any pics so I don't butcher it?

Thanks.

I would try and trade for a done one as well. I considered chopping it,but couldn't bring myself to cut up a good original part.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    No, I have not considered it, and I think my charge will be higher than standard fender eliminator kit cost.

If you feel you can't fabricate it by yourself and if you can't find someone who wants to transfer his short tail you can buy fender eliminator and then sell your tail piece.

https://dieselmoto.com/products/xb-s-fender-eliminator
    Fair enough. I may attempt to create something similar to yours, thanks.

If your dead set on doing this, here's a tip for the license light.

Once you pull the taillight out , you'll notice that the clear lens for the license plate light portion just slides out. Slide it out and hold the lens in place. You should be able to trace the outline of the clear portion with a sharpie. Once I figured out where I was going to cut, I drilled the corners so i could see them from the other side.

Here is a link you may want to check out:
    http://hawkperformancemufflers.com/TAIL-CHOP.php

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast