Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying an '07 XB12cg

Hybrid View

Looking at buying an '07 XB12cg

First off, this is my first post here and I am hoping to join you guys on the streets very soon!

As the title says, I am looking at a 2007 xb12cg in red that is located at a Harley Dealer. The price is $4499 plus tax and title. Unfortunately they don't have the bike on their website so I can't provide any links. I got a brief look at it on Tuesday, but I am going back tomorrow to look at it again. So I do have a couple questions.

I understand the CG model was meant for a shorter rider. I am 6 foot 2 inches, could I work with the bike to make it fit me better? What type of things should I do?

What mileage would be reasonable for that price?

What questions should I ask the salesman?

What should I look out for?

I will get the chance to test ride it, what should I feel for then?

This will be my second bike. I was looking at getting a Sportster, but I have always wanted Buells and got pretty excited when I saw one sitting in the corner beside a Cyclone.

At 6'2" you may be a bit "scrunched" on a SCG. Make sure you sit on it and take it for a test ride. The first SCG I saw was AZMidgets and while it looked cool being so short, it wasnt for me (I'm 5'10).

Check this link for things to look out for on the bike. It may be a bit dated, but still relevant.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...B-Buyers-Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    At 6'2" you may be a bit "scrunched" on a SCG. Make sure you sit on it and take it for a test ride. The first SCG I saw was AZMidgets and while it looked cool being so short, it wasnt for me (I'm 5'10).

Check this link for things to look out for on the bike. It may be a bit dated, but still relevant.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...B-Buyers-Guide
    Sweet man, thanks! Is there anything that I can do to make an SCG more comfortable for me? Buells are hard to come buy in my area, so I am not sure how many more options I have.

To make riding position more comfortable you can put a seat from a standard height S on it. I am 6'1 and ride a R with CG suspension S tail with a SCG (Low Seat) and I have no problems with riding position.

Quote Originally Posted by oh9bolt View Post
    To make riding position more comfortable you can put a seat from a standard height S on it. I am 6'1 and ride a R with CG suspension S tail with a SCG (Low Seat) and I have no problems with riding position.
    Is the seat from the S the tallest?

Edit: Will a xb12ss seat fit on the SCG?
    Last edited by Chilcix; 02-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcix View Post
    Is the seat from the S the tallest?

Edit: Will a xb12ss seat fit on the SCG?
    SS/STT/XT/X all share a slightly "longer" frame. The steering angle is slightly relaxed and designed around a longer swing arm, longer seat rails. Short answer is no, not without modifying the seat rails to fit a short frame or vice versa.

The seat on the 9 on the craigslist ad was swapped for a standard seat. Take a look here to see what it would look like stock.
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...r9sx_cityx.htm
    That price is not to special, you should be able to find similar at close to that price. I wouldn't worry about the seat to much, you can always have the stock one recovered to suit you for $100-$150. You may get an inch or two out of the seat, swap the bars for slightly taller aftermarket bars (limited to cable length) all with the goal of being comfortable for your 6'1" frame.
    Last edited by lowkey; 02-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.

$4499 is a lot for an 07

You are going to be more comfortable on a S, but if you like the bike, don't not get it because people tell you, you need a taller bike.

Where do you live? Maybe we can find you a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    $4499 is a lot for an 07

You are going to be more comfortable on a S, but if you like the bike, don't not get it because people tell you, you need a taller bike.

Where do you live? Maybe we can find you a better deal.
    I live in the Youngstown Ohio area. I found a xb9sx for sale in Alliance that is in great condition. I am also going to check out tomorrow. I would prefer a xb12, but if I can find a 9 for a better deal I will take that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcix View Post
    I live in the Youngstown Ohio area. I found a xb9sx for sale in Alliance that is in great condition. I am also going to check out tomorrow. I would prefer a xb12, but if I can find a 9 for a better deal I will take that instead.
    If you were comparing two more extreme bikes like the 9sx and a ulysses I could see going with the 12 if it was more suited to what you are after. The 9 is a great bike when they are both closer in appearance. I've got a 07'12STT and suited it to me so it's about half way between an SS an Ulysses but I had a 9S in the garage for a couple months when a buddy moved and found myself taking it out around town more than mine, in the canyons its like a BMX bike compared to mine. Power wise the 9 can stick with the 12 because of the shorter gearing. Honestly you won't be missing anything and save a few bucks on the purchase going with the 9, 07' 12's are prone to crank failures as well so there is that...

Agreed that is a lot for that bike, maybe the miles are crazy low?

03's run a weaker belt compared to the rest so keep that in mind, 08' and up are the ones I'd be after if I were to do it again, all the weak areas were fixed.
    Last edited by lowkey; 02-17-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    If you were comparing two more extreme bikes like the 9sx and a ulysses I could see going with the 12 if it was more suited to what you are after. The 9 is a great bike when they are both closer in appearance. I've got a 07'12STT and suited it to me so it's about half way between an SS an Ulysses but I had a 9S in the garage for a couple months when a buddy moved and found myself taking it out around town more than mine, in the canyons its like a BMX bike compared to mine. Power wise the 9 can stick with the 12 because of the shorter gearing. Honestly you won't be missing anything and save a few bucks on the purchase going with the 9, 07' 12's are prone to crank failures as well so there is that...

Agreed that is a lot for that bike, maybe the miles are crazy low?

03's run a weaker belt compared to the rest so keep that in mind, 08' and up are the ones I'd be after if I were to do it again, all the weak areas were fixed.
    The 9 that I found is a 2007 with 8k miles. I am going to go check it out and get the price tomorrow. What would be a fair price for that?

I didn't catch how many miles the 12 had, but I am going tomorrow to look at it too. I got a brief look at it, but it looked like they just got in. It had the tag on it saying what needs done and there was a lot of dirt on it. Looked like it might have been sitting in someones garage for a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast